T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been working on my website and need a little help. I have come across someone that can do the work I need and I in turn can make shirts for his band. The problem I have is I don't know how much of a discount to give on the shirts in return for the work done to my site. The site work is a one time thing, not a constant managing issue. The shirts would be a front design (I already have on a screen) and the back would have the band website printed. Just one color ink, in fact I have made a shirt for him before to attract his business.
Help!?!:confused:

·
Premium Member
27,691 Posts
If you're going to do a trade, you need it to be a "straight across" trade.

You figure out your pricing for that website as if you weren't doing a trade. Then that's how much you trade for.

If your pricing is higher than his pricing for the t-shirts, then he pays you the difference. If his pricing for the t-shirts is more than the price of the website, then you pay the difference.

There are too many variables in both service industries (websites and t-shirt printing) to give you a specific "number".

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess that is what I am having the problem figuring out. The cost of the web work. I know how much I would charge for the shirts. I just have no idea how much web work normally runs. I guess I will just have to ask how much he would charge if there were no trade. Thanks for the help! I gave me a direction to go. :)

·
Registered
153 Posts
well i used to design websites for a few pple. how i charge them is by the no. of pages that i have created/designed/programmed, which includes, login, administrative, templates and support. ive stopped because i dun have the patience to do all the coding, troubleshooting, etc.

there are also open-source programs that are free. you jus need to learn how to use them, which requires time to fully master it. im currently using zen-cart for my website and still learning how to fully utilise every option in it.

market rate for cost of page varies from programmer to programmer.

but i think there are also programmers that charge by the package.

hope the info helped ya a bit. :)

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Depending on what you want on your webpage (flash etc) you can expect to pay 35-75/hr on average. Do a internet search for web design or call some local shops. I would never pay for a website by page. Define a webpage.
If the programmer knows different languages (php/flash/asp etc) then he will probably charge more.
So if you have been working on it how many hours you got into it ? How many more you estimate to be done ? Is he gonna have to redo it ? How much of a redo ? A little or alot ?
More than likely you will owe him unless you are doing hundred of shirts.
You say a one time thing. Is that cuz you won't EVER change anything. ? Or will you take over the changes and if so is it in a programming language you know.
Get a quote from him and then see what that comes to. If he says 500.00 then do that much in shirts. I did 30 shirts for a softball team for a 300.00 bat. I figured the shirts cost me 10.00 to do.
Barter can be good but you gotta be careful.

Good Luck
Mark

1 - 5 of 5 Posts