T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been getting alot of yellowing on light colored shirts. Something I have battled for year. But now with DTG the pretreat area is way worse.
I am using the Image Armor for darks since we need the white ink. Did some royal blue shirts that looked great after printing but after curing were pretty much junk shirt and inks faded bad. Right now doing athletic heather (which we always have problems with even with just transfers)
So 2 questions,
Will the new light shirt formula help with this problem or will it not hold the white ink enough.
And are there other curing options it just really seems like 180 seconds is alot, when screen print is so much less.
thanks

·
Registered
640 Posts
On yellows, pinks, light blues, sports grey we are using IA light and it works great. Sports grey has a few issues due to not 100% cotton, but way better than before. We just did 50 pink and yellow tees with a design that needed a white under base and they printed great.

Larry

·
Registered
344 Posts
I called AA and was told that for sport grey I should use dark garment PT. Unfortunately I'm getting a yellowing that won't wash away. With the light garment PT I'm not getting as vibrant colors. Any advice?

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I called AA and was told that for sport grey I should use dark garment PT. Unfortunately I'm getting a yellowing that won't wash away. With the light garment PT I'm not getting as vibrant colors. Any advice?
If your shirt has poly you will experience some issues. Poly is a plastic so it does not absorb moisture which is needed for PT. It will cause wash ability issues and the colors will dull out after heating. Poly also does not take well to heat so the yellowing could be a combination of the poly and PT scorching. It will not wash out. Right now 100% cotton will give you the best results.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Billy is fight- poly doesn't work for dtg & white ink. Here is a picture of a LAT sports grey 93% cotton & 7% viscose and it was treated with 23 grams of IA light. I have found the dark on sports grey leaves too much a pt box so I tried light pt and this picture is after 2 washings.

Larry

Attachments

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Billy is fight- poly doesn't work for dtg & white ink. Here is a picture of a LAT sports grey 93% cotton & 7% viscose and it was treated with 23 grams of IA light. I have found the dark on sports grey leaves too much a pt box so I tried light pt and this picture is after 2 washings.

Larry
Yeah its a shame that poly doesn't work well right now. Most of my customers like poly blends because the color of the shirts don't fade as much as cotton and athletes love the blends because it stretches and its durable.

Best thing to do is to have a printed poly blend shirt and show it to the next customer that asks for poly blend. If the customer is ok with it then you just made an honest sale.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts

Larry
The image washed pretty nicely by the way. Were the white dots in the image on the green field or is that just the fibers? Did you use Dupont ink? I have yet to use IA PT but I'm going to switch over as soon as I finish what I have left.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Billy - I didn't notice them on the actual shirt as much as in the picture. I need to go look at the actual print, but my guess is either fibers and/or the poly not taking white ink.

We use DuPont that we get from All American. When I first tried IA I was so impressed that I still have over a gallon for the DuPont pretreat sitting. The ease and quality of IA way offsets letting that pt set.

Thanks
Larry

·
Premium Member
2,443 Posts
Image Armor for light garments will reduce if not eliminate the yellowing seen on athletic heather grey shirts. The dark formula will indeed create a slight yellow box depending on the brand and color.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Image Armor for light garments will reduce if not eliminate the yellowing seen on athletic heather grey shirts. The dark formula will indeed create a slight yellow box depending on the brand and color.
That's what I have been reading. DuPont use to do the same thing. It would turn yellow in the press as well as being out in the sun light. Then a few years ago they came out with a different formula that allowed you to use it on all colors with no yellowing. It's a disadvantage having to use two different PTs but having great wash ability is a huge plus. And that's enough for many people to switch over.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.