T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have been pressing bamboo shirts at 350 for 80 seconds fine for weeks, i use a teflon sheet, the last few i have done are all showing brown scorching where the platen hits the shirts, its very strange, i must have done over 150 the exact same way with no problems, now i cant get one right. I have a ir temp sensor and that reads what it says on the heatpress dial, i have two teflon sheets and switching makes no difference, im truely stumped, any ideas anyone ?

·
Registered
39 Posts
are you sure theyre scorch marks ? although i have never used these types of shirts i have often come across a batch of white cotton t's that suffer from a brown stain when pressing. this has been deduced as being caused by contamination during manufacturing by dirty water in the yarn. the heat from the press draws it to the surface at the pre print pressing stage that i complete (6 to 10 seconds) to ease out creases before print stage.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i also pre-press them for 10 seconds but i dont see the brown scorch/stain marks then, only after the full 80 second press. it must be something with the shirts though, im using continental (they arent exactly cheap either). i will try some others as im pretty sure its only happening with the latest batch i bought in, typical isnt it the printer is now running great but something else happens to pee on your parade..........

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Have you tried reducing the cure times and temperature? I had white scorching issues sometimes but after switching from a rubber heat press mat to a Nomex pad I've been able to reduce heatpress times by a significant amount.

·
Registered
5,720 Posts
i have been pressing bamboo shirts at 350 for 80 seconds fine for weeks, i use a teflon sheet, the last few i have done are all showing brown scorching where the platen hits the shirts, its very strange, i must have done over 150 the exact same way with no problems, now i cant get one right. I have a ir temp sensor and that reads what it says on the heatpress dial, i have two teflon sheets and switching makes no difference, im truely stumped, any ideas anyone ?

I advise against using an IR temperature gun to check the temperature of heat platens on heat presses. They work great on checking infrared heat panels. But they can be very misleading with a heat press. Because of the different radiating characteristics of a heat press platen they cannot give you an accurate reading and can be off as much as 100 to 150 degrees. You need to use a pyrometer with a surface probe to get an accurate heat press temperature reading.

Your scorching issue could be a matter of just getting in new batch of shirts that are overly sensitive. One way to check this is if you have a shirt left over from the previous batch that cured well. Heat the back of the shirt and see if that one scorches. If it doesn't then you know the problem is with the new batch of shirts, not your heat press or temperatures.

Harry

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
after some initial testing it does appear to be different bags of shirts at fault, it took a little while of testing to get to hardly any washout with 80 secs at 350 with my setup, this nomex pad zhenjie did you get it from Harry ? i cant seem to see it on the equipmentzone website, i thought i read on a different post they were selling them, have you sold out Harry ? do you ship to the UK anyway ?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts