T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This may be a dumb question but I'm still new to doing this printing thing.

I printed Ryonet Black Opaque ink on a white shirt and on a red shirt. After a few washes it looks like the shirt is coming through the ink and the ink looks dull.

I'm only using black ink. Am I not doing something right or is this normal?

Thanks for your time.

Also, these are 100% cotton. I just read in a different section that little balls of fuzz come through on 100% cotton. Is there a way to make that not happen or is it better to print on 50/50?

Again, thanks for reading.

· Registered
204 Posts
What you are describing is called fibrilation. It happens quite often when printing thin layers on 100% cotton.
You can either lay down a little thicker layer of ink (thicker stencil or lower mesh count), or you can do a print/flash/print. This should help to minimize the fibrilation.
Printing on a blend shirt does this a lot less.
Some printers will actually encourage fibrilation on some of their shirts for that fintage look and feel.

· Registered
204 Posts
Flooding isn't absolutely necessary, but due to the fact that most opaque inks tend to be thicker I would reccommend flooding to help ensure consistant coverage.
I always flood mine. It's a habit I haven't regretted forming. Just remember that you don't need a hard stroke to flood. You're just trying to ensure every part of your stencil has enough ink. If you're printing halftones, flooding too hard can cause your dots to come out a little heavy.

· Registered
1,387 Posts
When you thread the shirt on a pallet, we have a quick wiping motion that usually knocks off the lint as well as adhering it to the pallet adhesive. Fuzzballs be gone!

Black tends to be matte, unless you use one of the athletic blacks that have more shine to mimic the traditional vinyl.

If it's wearing off and you are seeing shirt (not filibration), then it's a cure thing or just not enough ink deposit.. If it's the red, you may want to consider an underbase. Radical, but does solve red problems with certain brands and their crappy dyes.
We use 156's for one color black, and hit it twice if the shirt seems to want it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.