T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
USPS does a pretty good job for small numbers of shirts (which most orders usually are). If you're doing a bunch of shirts you'll probably be better off with UPS.

Also, one thing a friend pointed out to me with USPS is that its usually harder to get them to deliver to a door; they usually just leave a note to pick it up at the post office or such, which can suck for some customers (generally rural)

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I use priority mail by USPS. 3.85 for any package up to one pound. Its easy...Just slap a stamp on and its good to go. I have never had a problem, and I have found that even if the package is slightly over one pound, they will deliver with the standard 3.85 postage with out a problem. 3.85 will deliver to all 50 states and puerto rico.

I send wholesale orders by parcel post (USPS), which takes about a week. I have never had a problem with this either.

The only time that USPS will not deliver to your door is if their was signature confirmation bought on a package, and nobody is home. Then they will give you a note to go pick your package up at the post office, where they can get your signature.

·
Premium Member
27,700 Posts
I've been using USPS Priority Mail for years (it used to be $2.85 and has gone up over the years).

I highly recommend them for individual t-shirt orders. 2-3 day shipping, free shipping supplies, and you can print postage from your computer (with free tracking).

·
Registered
59 Posts
Just whatever you do, do not use DHL. My buddy currently works as a sales manager for Yellow and I'm telling you its sh*t show over there. Seriously, I would rather strap my pakages to a stray dog in the hopes he would somehow find his way to my customers door.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I hate to admit it, but brown is the best. I should know, I 'm an investor in a shipping consultancy that helps mid-size companies re-negotiate their UPS / FedEx / DHL contracts.

However, it really depends on the nature of your business. If you're sending less than 200 1-3 lbs packages to 100% residential locations.....USPS provide you with the most value. Furthermore, despite what "Twinge" said, the post office is the BEST at rural residential delivery. They are the only carrier that delivers to every US address. (UPS is around 97%)

However if any of the following conditions apply to your business, you might want to consider UPS.

1. You ship more than 50 packages a day and need a more robust shipping system.

2. You customer service person sends a significant amount of time on USPS tracking packages.

3. Your customers need more information regarding the status of their packages.

4. You drop ship any or a majority of your products.

5. Your business is steadily growing. (Get a UPS contract in place so you can establish some shipping history and secure discounts that you can grow into.)

6. You prefer signatures on all your shipments.

7. You want to start shipping C.O.D - "Collect (check) on Delivery"

8. 20% or more of your shipments are Expedited Air (overnight, second day)

Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Hehe, why's my name in quotes?

As I said, it was just something a friend mentioned -- he used to lived with his family on a farm and he said that USPS would always just leave a note that there was a package he had to pick up at the post office and it was pretty unreliable to him there. Can't say from personal experience as I have not had any problems myself.

·
Registered
59 Posts
So Sorry, I didn't mean for "twinge" to read sarcastically - I just wanted your name to stand out.....which of course was completely unnecessary as you clearly stand out in this forum. Your crappy posts are everywhere.

JUST KIDDING - I got you with the sarcasm again though, didn't I ? ;)

I'm new to this forum, thanks for keeping it going.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Hah, fair enough. And yes, you did catch me off guard with that =)

Good overview of why to go with UPS btw; its good for larger companies, larger packages, etc. For single-shirt orders and small companies, USPS definately seems to be the way to go though. I do kinda wish UPS offered free packaging for GROUND shipments though; they only offer it for air service AFAICT (and that's what they told me as well), and air is way too expensive to be worth it for shirts.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts