T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I just wanted to ask advice on shipping shirts. I have looked into a couple of differnt options (priority mail,ect) but it all seems pretty expensive. Any ideas???

·
Registered
324 Posts
I ship one T with First Class Mail, in bags that I bought from U-Line. (cheap in bulk). More than one T I ship Priority Mail - you can fit 3 t-shirts in a Flat Rate Priority Mail envelope - $3.85. Overseas in Global Priority Mail Flat Rate envelopes - about $7 anywhere. If you use Paypal to ship, you get Delivery Confirmation for 13c. Or you can ship via USPS website, I think you get some off then too.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
I didn't really like the idea of using those carboard envelopes; seems way to fragile to ship a shirt in, especially more than one. I'm using the tyvex envelopes right now myself which are sturdier but not flat rate so they cost a bit more when shipping more than 1 shirt.

Btw, jdr: The shirts I'm shipping weigh over half a pound each, so even 2 shirts passes the limit. Perhaps with the lower grade lightweight shirts or smaller sizes you can do 2 though.

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
I agree, for shipping shirts, USPS is a great way to go.

You get free delivery confirmation and can ship 1-2 shirts for $3.85 with free packaging material from the post office. 1-3 days to get anywhere in the US.

You can even have the mail carrier come pick up the shirts from your doorstep with their free carrier pickup service.

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
Twinge said:
Is the delivery confirmation only free if you order it online?
Yep, you have to do the postal purchase online to get the free delivery confirmation.

I use stamps.com and it can send an email to the shirt recipient and one to yourself. It will also email you when the package is delivered.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I don't think the cardboard envelopes are bad, Twinge - I've shipped 3 (heavy) t-shirts in a Global Priority Flat rate envelope to Germany, got there with no problems. What is the worst that could happen - a couple of wrinkles? Just make sure you tape the opening securely so that it doesn't pop open.

·
Registered
296 Posts
If you ship priority mail does USPS require that you use their own priority mail tyvek envelop? I know it's free so why would anyone want to use anything else but I plan on using these white poly bags that will eventually have my logo printed on them so I might want to use them exclusively but will that work with priority mail?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
If you ship priority mail does USPS require that you use their own priority mail tyvek envelop? I know it's free so why would anyone want to use anything else but I plan on using these white poly bags that will eventually have my logo printed on them so I might want to use them exclusively but will that work with priority mail?
Thanks
Yes, you can use any packaging you like with Priority Mail. You don't have to use the ones they provide.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yes, you can use any packaging you like with Priority Mail. You don't have to use the ones they provide.
I didn't know that. I thought you had to use their packaging to get their rates...is the only limitation that the envelope you're using has to be the same dimensions as their packaging?

For example, the priority envelope is a certain size..if i get "custom" envelopes to use that has my logo on it, as long as they are the same exact size as the priority ones, USPS will accept it?

Unless i'm thinking about their priority mail FLAT RATE...you know the commercials where as long as you can fit it in the box, it's one flat rate... i'm slightly confused.

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
is the only limitation that the envelope you're using has to be the same dimensions as their packaging?
Nope, there's no limitation like that :)

if i get "custom" envelopes to use that has my logo on it, as long as they are the same exact size as the priority ones, USPS will accept it?
It can be any size you like (within reason :))

Unless i'm thinking about their priority mail FLAT RATE...you know the commercials where as long as you can fit it in the box, it's one flat rate... i'm slightly confused
Yep, that's probably where the confusion is coming in.

For their FLAT RATE, you *have* to use their packaging and it has to fit in the packaging.

But if you're just shipping one or 2 t-shirts, you don't want to use the FLAT RATE packaging because you'll end up paying more. 1-2 t-shirts is about a pound, and shipping 1 pound or under via Priority Mail is much cheaper than shipping FLAT RATE via Priority.

FLAT RATE is really meant to compete with UPS for the heavier packages (3-4LBS +) where UPS is almost consistently higher

·
Registered
442 Posts
I didn't know that. I thought you had to use their packaging to get their rates...is the only limitation that the envelope you're using has to be the same dimensions as their packaging?

For example, the priority envelope is a certain size..if i get "custom" envelopes to use that has my logo on it, as long as they are the same exact size as the priority ones, USPS will accept it?

Unless i'm thinking about their priority mail FLAT RATE...you know the commercials where as long as you can fit it in the box, it's one flat rate... i'm slightly confused.
You are getting it confused.

You can package anything you want and put a priority label and postage on it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
You can also get a roll of stickers (free) that say USPS Priority on them for custom packaging. But I have found anything with a "printed label" (ie from your desktop printer) ships super fast, regardless of PM or First Class.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks for the clarification! That helps a LOT!!!

Are there any labeling requirements for FLAT RATE? It sounds like I can do anything in terms of labeling if I do priority mail, but what if I HAVE to use their packaging, is the labeling free game or am I limited to whatever they produce online?

I just want to know how creative I can get with my shipping/packaging/labeling..between priority mail and FLAT RATE services.

Thanks!

·
Registered
332 Posts
I like to ship USPS for anything under 2 pounds (1-4 shirts), but for anything over 2 pounds, I've found FedEx and UPS to be cheaper. If you sign up for a FedEx or UPS account and print your labels online (which is super easy to do), you'll get much better rates than if you go to the UPS of FedEx store.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts