T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,689 Posts
Re: Shipping Containers ???

jdr8271 said:
Priority mail is too expensive anymore. $4.05, compared to about $2 with firstclass...You save a couple of dollars on each package by using firstclass, that money ads up over time.
I've always charged a flat rate of $4.95 for shipping, so the Priority Mail doesn't seem too bad. Especially when you throw in the free tracking and free postal supplies (and faster delivery).

That being said, I'm getting ready to setup a local site selling shirts to locals (withing a few miles of each other) and the extra $2 bucks for Priority wouldn't make sense. First class for $2.10 will work just fine :)

·
Premium Member
27,689 Posts

ph0yce said:
Rodney, do they not give you a tracking number when you use first class?
You have to pay a little extra to get delivery confirmation with first class, but I'm pretty sure it's an option.

For getting a package from California to New York in 2-3 days (vs 5-7 days), I just think Priority Mail is the better way to go. The handling seems to be better for Priority packages as well.

·
Premium Member
27,689 Posts

For me, shipping by first class mail means thousands of $$ more profit a year.
How does that mean thousands more profit per year? Are you profiting that much off shipping?

I try not to make shipping a profit center for my shop, but I can see how making close to $3 per package could add to the bottom line.

·
Premium Member
27,689 Posts

jdr8271 said:
There is an accepted shipping price (about $5), that people are used to paying for t-shirts. Customers will pay that price, no matter what method of shipping you are using. Since I sell thousands of t-shirts a year, and use first class mail, I make thousands of dollars more by shipping by first class rather than priority mail.
Do you think you could sell more t-shirts if you lowered your shipping price to be closer to what you actually pay?

I've always heard that shipping is one of the main deterrents for people not shopping online. I would think that a lower shipping cost would encourage more orders?

I might try a switch to first class for a while as a test. I'm thinking about getting some custom tyvek envelopes printed. Any places you know of that custom print tyvek envelopes?

·
Premium Member
27,689 Posts

Cool...thanks for the link.

I was actually looking for more of an all over type print (something that I could make really colorful that would stand out...like the USPS Priority envelopes are printed in the red/white/blue eagle design), but that link gives me a good starting point.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.