T-Shirt Forums banner

Shipping Methods for T-Shirts

67K views 46 replies 34 participants last post by  ag141231 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi all,
I saw some posts here that mentioned paying just over $2 to ship a T-Shirt. I usually pay over $4 to ship a single shirt, and that's not counting the box. I'm using corrogated boxes, that have a little room left after the shirt is in place. Are there better methods than this to keep the package lighter. Sturdy envelopes? Etc? What do you pay?
Jim

#3 ·
USPS is probably the route to go until you get some shipping volume. Once you have that, you can show it to UPS and they’ll cut a deal.

The Postal Service doesn’t have the liberty (no pun intended) to discount, so they offer free shipping supplies to try and complete.

Sure you’ll have to buy your own shipping stuff, but you’ll save a lot more. Even at that, certain areas and times are still better w/ USPS than UPS.

#5 ·
I use USPS Global Priority to ship internationally which costs about $9 to most places and $7 to Mexico/Canada. If you use regular Air Mail, it might be a couple of bucks cheaper, but the delivery times aren't as good.

CoolHandLuke said:
USPS is probably the route to go until you get some shipping volume. Once you have that, you can show it to UPS and they’ll cut a deal.
We have a large volume shipping with UPS, and for a single package, they still can't touch USPS rates or delivery times. For bulk packages (5 pounds+) UPS is the best, but for single/double shirt shipping, I would say it's USPS hands down.

#6 ·
Twinge said:
Rodney (or anyone else): Have you done much international shipping? Last I checked the best rate I could get through USPS was about $7 or $8 for under 1 pound (except to Mexico or Canada), but I've heard it can be as little as $5 per. Know any details?
Global Priority flat rate envelopes in size small ($5) and large ($9).

If you are a packing genius you can fit a 3XL in the small envelope; normal sizes should be a piece of cake. I have had sellers balk at packing these envelopes properly (i.e. to the gills, saving me the customer money), but I think they just had no spatial imagination.

(I do a lot of international buying, so I've had a lot of stuff, clothing and otherwise, sent to me in these)

#7 · (Edited)
Shipping USPS I wouldnt advice it if you are doing ground or without tracking numberfor an international shipiment, because depending where its going it can take days-weeks or never show up past the estimated arrival date. But if you are doing bulk shipping or shipping more than 25 packages in a month I would say you should think about getting an account. I like DHL, but you can shop around for better rates. With DHL its possible to send 10lbs for $8 domestically and they send extra coupons for more discounts. There is no charge for having an account, and Ive never had a delay with shipping which is great. So you can do the research or find which service you are comfortable with .

#10 ·
I have my shirts folded and bagged at the printer. I also throw in some stickers and a little promo flyer

Rodney - better talk to your rep from UPS and let them know your thoughts. If they want to play... they'll put you in the game at a workable price.
Do you have actual numbers to back that up? Have you heard of a UPS ground shipment of 1 pound being $4.05?

#14 ·
Anyone an SGIA member? I just joined. Supposedly they have a deal with Fedex. When I find 15 minutes of spare time, I am going to contact them for pricing and will post info here later.

I have 150 pounds of shirts that need to be shipped from PA th CA next week and have not found a carrier to ship for less than $157, so I need to check this out.

#16 ·
i haven;t shipped any t shirts by DHL but i have shipped a lot of other stuff,(i used to have a Consignment Business on eBay) with DHL and i always got a better deal with them i shipped a Tiffany style lamp with UPS, the first time i used them, they smashed it, also the customer agreed with me it was not my fault as far as packing it,also i shipped a lot of small stuff through USPS Domestic and Out of the country.

Den

#22 ·
Priority shipping is now $4.85 minimum. You can get free Tyvek envelopes to ship priority.

For shipping first class, I'm not sure of the cheapest out there, but I checked U Line real quick and they have some reasonably priced ones: 10 x 13" Self-Seal White Tyvek Envelopes S-5153 - Uline (have to order a case of 100 minimum). After shipping you're talking something like 30 cents per Tyvek envelope, So overall shipping would probably be under $3.50 per shipment if you go the first class route.

#23 ·
Hey guys,

After reading through this thread, I think you guys might be able to help me out here...On your recommendations, I began shipping my tees through Priority Mail with the free USPS Tyvek Mailers, packing each shirt in a Uline clear bag for extra protection.

I have the USPS Postage Scale in my office so I can do the Click N Ship and schedule the carrier service. All of this has been very useful advice. However, when I get to over 3 tees in an order, the rate nearly doubles and I'd to try to keep that rate hike to a minimum for my customers...I can't fit that many tees in a small flat-rate box or flat rate envelope...

What do you suggest I do? Is it worth going to UPS or FedEx for orders of 3 shirts & up? Or am I missing something (I've seen some sites use First-Class mail, but I haven't been able to find accurate rates on that)?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Dan

#24 ·
Hi,

You can ship one shirt first class mail, approximately $2.70.

2 Shirts you can USPS ship priority at $4.95. 2 shirts will fit in a one of those 'soft' plastic envelopes.

When it comes to 3/4 shirts and more UPS or Fed Ex is the best option. 3/4 shirts should cost about $8.95 to ship Fed Ex or UPS.

Marc

#25 ·
dan,
I talked with my postal clerk at my post office(I make shirts for his hair salon) and he said after 2 shirts it's better to just go with Priority envelope. I normally ship 1 shirt or 2 via first class in a Tyvek envelope i buy from uline, but after that it's cheaper to try and get them into a priority envelope or box.
hope that helps.

-Scott Lewis
Silk Screen Expressions

#29 ·
Not doing any shipping but looked into it. Looked at the small bubble bubble wrap envelope it was white and looked good and also could serve as bagging lol anyways was half the price of a small box. I have seen them in a local dollar store for cheaper than at the post office. The white ones look real professional as apposed to the brown and offer protection. As for bagging cheap thin bags and a heat sealer would do good not all that expensive and do not need fancy bags , the heat sealers are crude and simple but work well. There basic a heating wire with a insulated clamp down so should not be to pricey. The white bubble wrap enveopes I saw where cheaper than the small boxes and looked better so guess its down to image and personal choice. Id check out the local dollar stores though or look bulk.

#31 ·
Good morning everybody!!!
I have been trying to locate information on worldwide shipping.
We currently ship items that range 1-3 articles per order, on an average. We have been limited to shipping domestic only through USPS because of the costs to ship. Internationally runs us $10-15 and our customers refuse to pay that for a shirt.

I noticed other companies offer FREE worldwide shipping on shirts they are selling for $20. How is this possible?

What am I missing when it comes to shipping?

Thanks for the help! :)
-Fred

#32 ·
I noticed other companies offer FREE worldwide shipping on shirts they are selling for $20. How is this possible?

What am I missing when it comes to shipping?

Thanks for the help! :)
-Fred
I do not know of any tricks, myself--and doubt that there really is a way around the high cost.

Amazon, for one, loses money on shipping as part of their strategy to grab market share from brick and mortar stores.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.