T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi all,
I saw some posts here that mentioned paying just over $2 to ship a T-Shirt. I usually pay over $4 to ship a single shirt, and that's not counting the box. I'm using corrogated boxes, that have a little room left after the shirt is in place. Are there better methods than this to keep the package lighter. Sturdy envelopes? Etc? What do you pay?
Jim

·
Premium Member
27,691 Posts
Hi Jim, USPS seems to be a good method for shipping t-shirts.

Here's a thread about it:
http://www.t-shirtforums.com/showthread.php?t=345&highlight=usps

Priority Mail is now $4.05 for a t-shirt, but you can get free boxes/packaging from USPS.com and even free delivery confirmation.

You can ship via First Class Mail for a buck or so cheaper, but I prefer the delivery times and handling of Priority Mail.

I use the free tyvek envelopes provided by USPS, but I've also purchased similar envelopes from Uline. They are lightweight and pretty weatherproof.

·
Registered
243 Posts
USPS is probably the route to go until you get some shipping volume. Once you have that, you can show it to UPS and they’ll cut a deal.

The Postal Service doesn’t have the liberty (no pun intended) to discount, so they offer free shipping supplies to try and complete.

Sure you’ll have to buy your own shipping stuff, but you’ll save a lot more. Even at that, certain areas and times are still better w/ USPS than UPS.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Rodney (or anyone else): Have you done much international shipping? Last I checked the best rate I could get through USPS was about $7 or $8 for under 1 pound (except to Mexico or Canada), but I've heard it can be as little as $5 per. Know any details?

·
Premium Member
27,691 Posts
I use USPS Global Priority to ship internationally which costs about $9 to most places and $7 to Mexico/Canada. If you use regular Air Mail, it might be a couple of bucks cheaper, but the delivery times aren't as good.

CoolHandLuke said:
USPS is probably the route to go until you get some shipping volume. Once you have that, you can show it to UPS and they’ll cut a deal.
We have a large volume shipping with UPS, and for a single package, they still can't touch USPS rates or delivery times. For bulk packages (5 pounds+) UPS is the best, but for single/double shirt shipping, I would say it's USPS hands down.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
Twinge said:
Rodney (or anyone else): Have you done much international shipping? Last I checked the best rate I could get through USPS was about $7 or $8 for under 1 pound (except to Mexico or Canada), but I've heard it can be as little as $5 per. Know any details?
Global Priority flat rate envelopes in size small ($5) and large ($9).

If you are a packing genius you can fit a 3XL in the small envelope; normal sizes should be a piece of cake. I have had sellers balk at packing these envelopes properly (i.e. to the gills, saving me the customer money), but I think they just had no spatial imagination.

(I do a lot of international buying, so I've had a lot of stuff, clothing and otherwise, sent to me in these)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Shipping USPS I wouldnt advice it if you are doing ground or without tracking numberfor an international shipiment, because depending where its going it can take days-weeks or never show up past the estimated arrival date. But if you are doing bulk shipping or shipping more than 25 packages in a month I would say you should think about getting an account. I like DHL, but you can shop around for better rates. With DHL its possible to send 10lbs for $8 domestically and they send extra coupons for more discounts. There is no charge for having an account, and Ive never had a delay with shipping which is great. So you can do the research or find which service you are comfortable with .

·
Registered
243 Posts
Rodney - better talk to your rep from UPS and let them know your thoughts. If they want to play... they'll put you in the game at a workable price.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Would anyone like to share what they are putting in their packages besides a shirt? Are you plastic bagging your shirts before putting them in a cardboard box? I'm trying to figure out if it's worth the time and trouble to protect the shirts.

Thanks, Colleen

·
Premium Member
27,691 Posts
I have my shirts folded and bagged at the printer. I also throw in some stickers and a little promo flyer

Rodney - better talk to your rep from UPS and let them know your thoughts. If they want to play... they'll put you in the game at a workable price.
Do you have actual numbers to back that up? Have you heard of a UPS ground shipment of 1 pound being $4.05?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hasn't anyone tried to make a deal with United Parcel or Fed Ex? Both have (relatively) low cost programs for small businesses whereas the UPS doesn't.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Anyone an SGIA member? I just joined. Supposedly they have a deal with Fedex. When I find 15 minutes of spare time, I am going to contact them for pricing and will post info here later.

I have 150 pounds of shirts that need to be shipped from PA th CA next week and have not found a carrier to ship for less than $157, so I need to check this out.

·
Registered
29 Posts
i haven;t shipped any t shirts by DHL but i have shipped a lot of other stuff,(i used to have a Consignment Business on eBay) with DHL and i always got a better deal with them i shipped a Tiffany style lamp with UPS, the first time i used them, they smashed it, also the customer agreed with me it was not my fault as far as packing it,also i shipped a lot of small stuff through USPS Domestic and Out of the country.

Den

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ok - I know these posts are old, but I am in the process of shipping over 300 single shirts.
What is the consensus for the cheapest way to send individuals shirts.
Thanks

Tony

·
Premium Member
27,691 Posts
Ok - I know these posts are old, but I am in the process of shipping over 300 single shirts.
What is the consensus for the cheapest way to send individuals shirts.
Thanks

Tony
USPS First Class Mail. Depending on the weight of the t-shirt, it only costs between $2-$3 per shirt.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you. That confirms my findings.
I appreciate your response.

One more question...
What are the cheapest decent envelopes to use?

Tony

1 - 20 of 47 Posts