T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope this is in the right section, if not can member of staff please move to the right section.

Ok i`m from the UK and as many will know, its hard to get such items here in the UK that are been sold in the US
Many companys wont send to the UK which to me seems some what strange as they would make a real killing in money orders and would be a very business minded thing to do.
I have just recently asked costal for some JPSS papper, 50x for white and 50x for dark, and roughly they are the A4 size.
The cost of the items come to $84
The cost for shiping i was quoted near on $60 ? :mad:
I just cant understand how this is so expensive ? i have had items sent via the US to me here in the UK from members here on this forum and such that it only costs me max $22 and my wife orders from american ****es and stores all the time and they are also using UPS and USPS but yet other oackages that i have ordered are a lot hevier and weight more yet this time round the items are only paper but am told it will cost $60 ?
Can any one explain this to me as it seems very stang and that proberly they are hicking up the costs, i know some china companys do this but not all.
Just need to know if there is a way of say member here from the UK been able to order from the us members and that way conclude business with them as i know i`m willing to spend $$$$ for goods.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Hi Jim. Sadly a lot of US suppliers don't see the golden opportunity that is sitting in front of them. There are endless posts on this forum from UK folks wanting some of the transfer papers and other goodies from the States, but none of the suppliers have 'woke up and smelt the coffee' yet!

The freight costs are exhorbitant and only really worthwhile if you are ordering 500 sheets at a time. I ship products all over the world and the freight costs are nowhere near like the silly prices that some US suppliers are trying to make.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey will m8
I totaly agree with you, but i just dont understand the reason behind it as to why they dont ship ? it makes propper business scence if you expand and that includes your sales around the world.
I`m opening a shop in eather december or jan next year and am looking for a good supplyer to supply me at such good prices that the US offer, and i`m willing to spend quite a few thousand and i dont mean in the lower bracket eather but at the shiping fees well i want to be able to offer my customers all over the UK the good rates of sale and shiping ect.
I know we moan about the UK prices that are a lot higher than in america but when it comes down to such things like shiping ? well i just cant get my brain around it why they charge so much.
The items are great what we need and the prices to match but wow, if i`m wanting some sample, and in this i mean 50 sheets of one type of new paper and another 50 sheets of another, so in total 100 sheets, to do full on testing at all different temps and settings ect, then get told the goods are only $84 which is about 47 pounds or a bit higher well you dont mind, but then to be told i`m going to be charged nearly the same for shiping ? well like you say no one in their right mind is going to pay it.
I know in japan some do the same in the shiping and hike the prices up so hight that u pay more for the postage than the goods, but how come we can send ites all over the world and with insurence and its quick for less than half these others want ?
I just cant understand it.
There are many couriers here in the UK that will only charge 3 english pounds for items sent with them that weigh up to 25kgs

I had a friend recently in america buy some goods for me and then he sent them to me and it was realy cheap and he used UPS so how come these companys charge extra on the shiping than the original shiping companys do ?
Its a shame but i will be trying by next year to get a HUGE container full of goodies for the uk market and open the shop and so it looks like i need to do a lot more searching.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just to add to the above........

The vendor i have been in touch with in regards to the items is one of the vendors listed here on the preferred list.

I have been in touch with them today and they offered to send items via postal service for $42 so i excepted as i think that is a fair price.

BUT......... (and there is always a but regretfully) i could`nt beleave the mail i got which said the following........

You can pay by credit card or wire transfer. Wire transfers there is a $22 fee
and if paying by credit card you will need to send copies of the front and back of credit card and a picture id.
In all the years i have been buying from the net and sites and shops on the net with my visa and also my wife, i have never ever come across some one asking for photo copys of the front and back of the credit card and also a photo ID ?
What is the world coming to when your security system or business security is so low that they ask for such ?
I know i`m not covered by my bank or building socity if i send out photo copys of my card, not to mention a photo ID.
Has any one else come across this as i can honestly say i have not, and i have bought from the USA and other countrys around the world and never been asked such.
As the security system for credit card payment systems will only send goods to the address of the credit card golder and not any were else so why have i been asked to do these things ?

Would like to hear others views on this and i think its a serious issue and some what very dangerious to say the least.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
The vendor i have been in touch with in regards to the items is one of the vendors listed here on the preferred list.

I have been in touch with them today and they offered to send items via postal service for $42 so i excepted as i think that is a fair price.

BUT......... (and there is always a but regretfully) i could`nt beleave the mail i got which said the following........

In all the years i have been buying from the net and sites and shops on the net with my visa and also my wife, i have never ever come across some one asking for photo copys of the front and back of the credit card and also a photo ID ?

Would like to hear others views on this and i think its a serious issue and some what very dangerious to say the least.
Personally I wouldn't deal with them, as they sound like complete idiots. I certainly wouldn't be sending them photocopies of my credit card and I wouldn't be sending them photo id either.

I buy lots of things from the states and I sell my own items all around the world. I have never come across such a stupid request before.

Vote with your feet Jim and take your business elsewhere. :)

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I do not think that its the seller that overcharges, it would be more the carrier that does it. Lets face it we want to buy small packages, odering it today and expecting it to arrive yesterday, there is a price for this type of service.
Quite a few years ago I worked for an airline company and the minimum price for any package was for 45 kilos, anything less weight was the same price ie. 5 roses packed in a small box were charged the same as 45 kilos of lead.
Fedex,Dhl and others would probably work on approx the same principles.

·
Premium Member
5,953 Posts
I would think the reason this would be requested from out of the country is that there is so much credit card fraud going on now a days, with stolen credit card numbers, and most of it happens from one country to another. Unfortunately the protection is not as great when the credit card is from another country as it is within your own country. It sounds like the vendor is just protecting their self. Its really up to you to deal with the vendor or not, but I can also understand that they are trying to protect themselves.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Trouble with that BobbieLee, is giving someone photocopies of your credit card as well as providing photo ID gives someone the ability to steal your identity. It would certainly invalidate any protection from your credit card company.

Credit card fraud works both ways and giving an unknown company, in another country such details, would not be the wisest of things to do. Most cloning of credit cards, is done by corrupt employees selling on details to fraudsters.

I only ever use PayPal for international transactions. Much safer. :)

·
Premium Member
5,953 Posts
I totally agree Will :) both sides are paranoid because there is a risk on both sides of that equation. I personally would never give copy of my drivers license to someone in another country ;) but that is just what the world has come to with fruad the way that it is, is that you have to protect yourself both as a consumer and a merchant. Personally that is why I dont do international orders, but only orders within the united states.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@ DREAMGLASS
Never the less i think you know what my answer to the mail was lol and i told them that i would not be buying from them.

@ ino
Yes i know the couriers do charge but there are the extra charges that these companys are also added on top of the shiping charge, and this can be up to %50 so they are making on the sale of the items aswell as the shiping.
I know its easy to say if you dont like the shiping fee then dont buy from them.
This is what i have done, but speaking to them i managed to get the shiping down to $40 so it`s always worth talking to them about it.

Hi BobbieLee
Yes there is a lot of fraud happening with credit cards and such this i know as a business owner.
What does amaze me is, here in the UK you pay a premium for your business transactions when customers buy via credit card, and i know it works in the same way in america aswell as all over the world.
But to ask for photoes of my card, and also photo ID it made me feel like i was a crook.
On checking up my bank would not cover me if i done this if anything ever happened and the info i sent was used to say create clones of them, it would be self inflicted as they say and my own fault.
But surly if you own a big business that this company i tryed to buy from is, well surly you have all the right security measures in place to cover you from this ?
I`m not talking of a small company here but one of if not the big one.
If you offer over seas shiping and buying then you should have the revelent and right rules and security in place, and then you will be covered by any transactions that might be fraud.

The main issue here is, if you buy with a credit card from any country, the items bought through the credit system in the system of any site or company will only send the items to the card holders address.
I`m sure this is set the same way in america as it is here in the UK.
I except all major credit cards as do most companys, but to ask for what i was well it totaly amazes me and made me feel like a fraud.
And i have never been asked to send such information before i bought goods and i buy from the US a lot and all over.
Just had to put this up as i think as many will when reading this that this is not a secure way of doing business and i would advise against it so strongly.
Probly another way why it is so hard to buy goods from the us with companys like these asking such information, which is a shame as we are supposed to be 2 of the closest country ??
Big money is been lost by a lot of american firms and business because they dont ship to the UK and i mean a yearly turn around of more than you would sell in your own country.
This is a very very big market place for a american company to jump into, ot even a normal one man or woman seller, beleave me i know a lot of other UK members will say the same.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts