T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else happen to catch Shark Tank tonight? There was a kid on there that runs a DTG print shop in Venice Beach and was claiming that he invented the platen to print on shoes?? It was quite the talking point in his pitch but he had big dreams, ended up not getting any investors, but his claim cough me as odd. I have seen these shoe platens out for a while now.

· Registered
1,079 Posts
I missed his pitch, when I tuned in Mark Cuban was saying he was out. Something about him living off six figures that bothered him then the guy said he was going to open another shop...I was just lost I thought it was another tee brand he was launching. I guess I will have to watch it again in it's entirety online to see this shoe platen.

· Registered
10,343 Posts
I watched a 2 min clip of the show. It is just a brother printer with a fab'd platen. I don't see anything there and his idea doesn't look like it will go anywhere right now.

The idea of customizing clothing right in front of your face and printing it out is great though.

I love that show!

· Registered
568 Posts
I love the show, but his claim that he is going to have a patent on DTG Printing on shoes is total BS. Sure, he may have had a custom platen made and get a design patent on that platen, but that really means nothing. I googled 'DTG Shoe Platen' and got about a dozen other options.

· Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I love the show, but his claim that he is going to have a patent on DTG Printing on shoes is total BS. Sure, he may have had a custom platen made and get a design patent on that platen, but that really means nothing. I googled 'DTG Shoe Platen' and got about a dozen other options.
Yeah, same here. I was quite surprised when I heard some of his claims. I also think the Sharks were getting confused and though that he invented the printer in its entirety.

· Registered
1,079 Posts
I just watched it and thought the same thing. When Daymond told the guy that he should lease the machine for $100K, I got the impression he thought the guy was the maker of the machine as well as the platen. Then when the guy said he was the only one doing custom work like that I just laughed.

· Premium Member
56,238 Posts
I don't think the guy said he had a patent pending on DTG printing on shoes. Just his platen design.

ABC has the full episode on their site. I also found out that the guy is a member of T-Shirt Forums :) I talked about it here: http://www.t-shirtforums.com/tf-lounge/t182790.html

· Registered
1,079 Posts
It didn't surprise me that he was a member, you'd be surprised how many people come in my shop as a newbie to screen printing and mention what they read on this site. It is a great resource - but his claim of being the only one doing this type of work was laughable. Lucky for the Sharks they didn't buy into it. Maybe he just said that for the cameras because he surely don't think he is the only one printing customer designs on demand. I will say that it is good to see a business thriving as he seems to have a lock on it in Venice. Maybe it's me but if you profited $150K in about a year, he should be able to make his dreams of opening up stores in other locations a reality without the Sharks. I certainly think it's doable with time.

· Registered
233 Posts
i want this platen, i have a guy who wants to go into a kiosk in the mall and do these, he is fronting $$ and i am fronting one of my 2 541, where can i get a shoe platen or can i use touchdown platen, really want to start doing more than just tee shirts

· Premium Member
56,238 Posts
i want this platen, i have a guy who wants to go into a kiosk in the mall and do these, he is fronting $$ and i am fronting one of my 2 541, where can i get a shoe platen or can i use touchdown platen, really want to start doing more than just tee shirts
You may want to contact Stitch City. I remember them printing on shoes with a brother DTG a few shows back: STICHCITY | Used Equipment

· Registered
875 Posts
Reid,

If you are thinking of printing shoes with your Mod1, let me know. We can have any custom platen made-to-order for your machine.

· Registered
2 Posts
Reid,

If you are thinking of printing shoes with your Mod1, let me know. We can have any custom platen made-to-order for your machine.
I'm very glad to know you build the custom platen for the shoe printing i would like to know what it cost to buy the custom platen and does one work with shoes of all kind? sorry for my questions but i'm much new to these business but wanting to get the best of equipments for quality production, i would also like to know if the same machine used for T-**** printing can be used for the shoe once so i can have an idea of which to buy? i would appreciate every single advice i get thanks in advance...

· Premium Member
614 Posts
Yes, any DTG printer can print on anything that you can get fairly flat.
Most people that print on shoes make there own jig depending on the target area of the shoe.

Here are some tips:

1: Give the shoe a light dusting of Light Garment Pre-Treat.

2: Print unidirectional at the highest resolution your printer can achieve.

3: Do a test print by covering the area to be printed with some masking tape to make sure the image is placed correctly as you only get one shot to get it right and shoes are $$.
Lower the ink levels to about 20% for this test.

4: Since most shoes in general do not get washed a full cure is not as important but you can get close by putting them in a microwave oven for about 2 minutes. (make sure the shoes have no metal rings for this method.
You can also put the shoes into on oven at under 200f for several minutes or take a heat gun to the printed area...if the shoe starts to smoke back off a bit):

I have seen some very cool graphics done on shoes over the years done with inkjet printers....it all depends on your taste.

· Registered
169 Posts
Hi,

Thank you for info. Will see what i can get in platen for it. Ah yes heat gun why did i not think of that .
Do you have to take sneakers apart ?
And is there anyway to see this if you are not in america. As abc not accessable in england. Plus cannot find it on youtube.

· Premium Member
614 Posts
You may want to take the lasing out but that's about it.
Not sure about watching the re-run, but it would probably not help much anyway, its just one of those things that you need to experiment with.
Printing on shoes have been around for some time... not a bad niche.

· Registered
8,371 Posts
Talk is cheap.
Show you how is worth beef.
I can send anyone to the moon by talking. Get the best rocket, make seat comfortable, load lots of beef jerky, beer and oxygen bla bla. I can do perfect score on pool, golf game by talk. Coolest design is per-print before assemble shoes. Second is not how to print. How to make Jig for already made shoes. Soon as anyone has shoe jig print is not much different than shirts print.
Issue is how many shoe jigs will be sold? If thre are $$$$$$$ someone will make. Many different shoes too.
Cheers! Beers are on me always.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.