T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a wannabe t-shirt netrepreneur. Need recommendations on where to go to accomplish 3 things on a shoestring:

1) set up a web site (with my own domain) to build content based on an original idea

2) link the main site to a blog, and also

3) link the main site to a T-shirt store w/ print designs based on my original idea.

Help!!!!

Lopieson

·
Registered
304 Posts
I guess the main question or rather the first question is do you already own a domain name?

Are you planning on printing your shirts yourself or having another company print to order?

Do you already have a blog set up?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
lawaughn said:
I guess the main question or rather the first question is do you already own a domain name?

Are you planning on printing your shirts yourself or having another company print to order?

Do you already have a blog set up?

Don't own a domain name yet; have checked, and several of my choices are available.

All things considered (e.g., labor, warehousing, shipping and receiving, customer service, etc.), I think a fulfillment service is my best fit, to start (please suggest a service).

Don't have a blog yet, either. This blogging thing is new to me. After looking at several blog sites, it seems to be ideally suited for what I want to do, though.

The content on the main site will disclose a new discovery (really) that will be of keen interest to my targeted audience. The blog commentary/editorial entries will
be subject-specific, tying directly to the subject matter of the main content site.

So, I guess my immediate need is for guidance in making hosting selections and fulfillment service choices.

Thought I should do some research before jumping out there and spending funds and time on the first thing I came across. The less I have to spend to give this idea a good test run, the better. Need info to make informed decisions. Search engines are quickly time- exhaustive. You guys at these forums are a godsend.

Lopieson

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
skulltshirts1 said:
1) godaddy.com
2) if you know html, you can make the link. How else can you answer this?
3) see #2

Thanks
Thomas
Thanks Thomas
Luv the look of godaddy.com. It appears to be everything I need to set up my content home page site. The full service offers seem unbeatable. Is it as good as it seems?Is such a site unusual? Can you elaborate on your experience with them? Very interested in your comments about the site builder and the "Quick Blog" feature. There's a lot of info there to consider in putting a package together. Any drawbacks to look out for overall?

Lopieson

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
As a retailer I need to ask,why do you need a blog? People shopping for tee or clothing don't go to blogs. Does Sears have a blog? We all have the greatest ideas about our business that is why we are here. What makes each store or shop unique is the designs we make and sell. Our web store also must be very fuctional so the customer can easily see what we have and shop in confidence. So you have a design or designs? Your going to have someone else do the printing? What price point are you going after? Remember the cost of someone else doing your stuff just adds to the cost.
I do webs and I do recommend to my clients that they use Godaddy. I have 2 of my clients on them now for hosting. And I buy all my domain names from them.
Are your designs going to be on heat transfers or screenprints? Hope these question help.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
badalou said:
As a retailer I need to ask,why do you need a blog? People shopping for tee or clothing don't go to blogs.

The kind of people who shop at threadless.com or defunker.com certainly go to blogs.

·
Registered
304 Posts
People do go to blogs. I go to blogs daily to find out whats new. I've many things because of blogs and it makes people come back to your site on a daily or at least weekly basis.

If you don't do a blog at least do a newsletter.
It does depend on the type of clothing your selling though.

·
Registered
282 Posts
What's your budget?

And I read blogs and don't mind if someone is trying to sell me something.
I looked into Typepad for paid blog hosting by the way.

Godaddy and Networksolutions are who we use for domain registrations.

Go to cnet.com and see who they like for cheap webhosting. If you are willing to pay $25 per month, I highly suggest Cavecreek.net The tech support is excellent and they've been around a long time.

If going with cheap webhosting...do a search "reviews about ..." because some have a lot of down time, bad customer service, etc.

For fulfillment, why can't you just set up several free stores.

If you are not familiar with what it takes to build a website, hosting, etc. then try to find someone that can help you in your circle of friends and contacts.

Good luck.

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
I am from the old school and still don't get this blog thing.. I guess you young folk look at them all the time. me when I shop on line.. I shop, not read.. Steer me in the right direction, I said old, not dead.. I could still learn a few things even after 35 years in retailing...

lawaughn said:
People do go to blogs. I go to blogs daily to find out whats new. I've many things because of blogs and it makes people come back to your site on a daily or at least weekly basis.

If you don't do a blog at least do a newsletter.
It does depend on the type of clothing your selling though.

·
Registered
282 Posts
badalou said:
I am from the old school and still don't get this blog thing.. I guess you young folk look at them all the time. me when I shop on line.. I shop, not read.. Steer me in the right direction, I said old, not dead.. I could still learn a few things even after 35 years in retailing...
I'm not retired but not 20/30-something either. Blogs may work for certain companies and products. And if you do not have anything to say, then don't bother. If emails and traditional advertising/marketing... announcing promotions, new products and discounts work for you, then that's great.

I stumbled on the "blog/selling" connection when I was searching Google for information. It is not as if I set out to read blogs on purpose. I do not follow anyone's blog daily, let alone weekly. I really don't have the time. Just sharing some thoughts.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow! I'm simply overwhelmed by generosity of this community. A big old cyber bearhug to you all.

lopieson

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
lawaughn said:
Personally I know nothing about godaddy and fulfillment services but I do know that you will need basic html knowledge. www.2createawebsite.com has a nice tutorial that I suggest you print out.

I hope I'm not being too hard-headed, but I'm gonna try to forego learning html (it gives me a headache). However, thanks for the 2createawebsite tip, just the same. I'll put it in my file. I may be forced to use the information after all.

lopieson

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
badalou said:
As a retailer I need to ask,why do you need a blog? People shopping for tee or clothing don't go to blogs. Does Sears have a blog? We all have the greatest ideas about our business that is why we are here. What makes each store or shop unique is the designs we make and sell. Our web store also must be very fuctional so the customer can easily see what we have and shop in confidence. So you have a design or designs? Your going to have someone else do the printing? What price point are you going after? Remember the cost of someone else doing your stuff just adds to the cost.
I do webs and I do recommend to my clients that they use Godaddy. I have 2 of my clients on them now for hosting. And I buy all my domain names from them.
Are your designs going to be on heat transfers or screenprints? Hope these question help.

This blogging thing has exploded and is fast becoming a historic internet phenomenon. Don't be surprised to look into cyberspace and see a Sears blog--big name companies are already catching on.

In 1997, a strange and wonderful thing happened to me. Some will say it was a mere lucky discovery; some will agree with me, when I say it was nothing short of a divine revelation. After nearly ten years of struggling with demons to complete a manuscript and bring it to publication, I found out about this blogging thing. Now I'm shifting gears.

This discovery will revolutionize the way people think about being human. The target international community is set to be rocked to its very foundation. My t-shirt designs will have a definite uniqueness, but it is the discovery itself that will be the real star of the show. Once I'm up and running, I would appreciate some constructive criticism about the functionality of the site.

It is indeed a little painful to pay someone else to print, warehouse and sell the shirts, but I'm finally determined to put procrastination to rest, stop waiting for everthing to be perfect ( perfect margins, perfect fulfillment service, perfect budget, perfect designs, etc.) and forge ahead. The milestone will be getting the site up and running---I can always improve as I go and grow.

I've been looking for an indication of some sort about which company to use for web hosting. If a guy with 30 years retailing experience gives Godaddy the stamp of approval, and even recommends his clients to them, that's a good enough sign for me. Godaddy it is. Hi five.

By the way---for anyone looking, Godaddy seems to be pretty remarkable. They are a full service company with three hosting packages for those with websites already designed;
featuring the Website Tonight site builder, they have three flexible packages that include hosting, email, and email forwarding, and they even have a Quick Blog feature available at a small additional cost.

Thanks again, badalou.

lopieson

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
suzieh said:
I'm not retired but not 20/30-something either. Blogs may work for certain companies and products. And if you do not have anything to say, then don't bother. If emails and traditional advertising/marketing... announcing promotions, new products and discounts work for you, then that's great.

I stumbled on the "blog/selling" connection when I was searching Google for information. It is not as if I set out to read blogs on purpose. I do not follow anyone's blog daily, let alone weekly. I really don't have the time. Just sharing some thoughts.

What types of blogs intrigued you enough to stop and have a look-see? Did they all have the type of information for which you were looking? Or did the titles of certain articles catch your eye, whether they contained your target information or not?

lopieson

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
suzieh said:
What's your budget?

And I read blogs and don't mind if someone is trying to sell me something.
I looked into Typepad for paid blog hosting by the way.

Godaddy and Networksolutions are who we use for domain registrations.

Go to cnet.com and see who they like for cheap webhosting. If you are willing to pay $25 per month, I highly suggest Cavecreek.net The tech support is excellent and they've been around a long time.

If going with cheap webhosting...do a search "reviews about ..." because some have a lot of down time, bad customer service, etc.

For fulfillment, why can't you just set up several free stores.

If you are not familiar with what it takes to build a website, hosting, etc. then try to find someone that can help you in your circle of friends and contacts.

Good luck.

Budget's next to zero.

What blog types do you like best? I mean, how are they designed? I'm thinking on using a narrative style with commentary interspersed. As you can see, I have a tendency to be wordy. I don't think people want to be lectured, though.

What did you think of Typepad for paid web hosting. I came across them, too. Didn't have enough info to make an informed decision, at the time.

Search for reviews, huh? Excellent tip!

What fulfillment services might you recommend for free stores?

lopieson

·
Registered
304 Posts
I use a blogs to keep up with my industry. I'm in the collectables industry. On certain blogs once the info is posted about a certain toy or piece of clothing then 250-500 copies can sell out in 2 hours.

If I don't check the blogs and forums in my industry for a few days then I don't know what's going on and have to go back and read everything. That include 4 blogs and 5 forums that I check on a daily basis.

Everyone in my industry knows each other and we fly out to see each other monthly and talk to each other on a daily basis. If I don't check the blogs several times a day then I'm out of the loop.

So blogs do benefit people and websites depending on the industry or the community that the website has developed.

Mostly with clothing blogs I mainly see them for limited edition clothing and sneakers. If your going to have your own brand that your trying to get people hooked on then I say go for it and also make sure that you follow up with at least a monthly newsletter.

·
Registered
155 Posts
lopieson said:
Budget's next to zero.

What blog types do you like best? I mean, how are they designed? I'm thinking on using a narrative style with commentary interspersed. As you can see, I have a tendency to be wordy. I don't think people want to be lectured, though.

What did you think of Typepad for paid web hosting. I came across them, too. Didn't have enough info to make an informed decision, at the time.

Search for reviews, huh? Excellent tip!

What fulfillment services might you recommend for free stores?

lopieson
if you're looking for a free store, i guess you can't beat cafepress.

well, i guess there's also spreadshirt.com, zazzle.com, and printmojo. although print mojo requires up front cost.

i've been using CafePress since last June and i'm pretty happy with it so far. There are obviously limitations, but after looking at what you're looking for, i think it might be a good option for you

1 - 20 of 21 Posts