T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been running into this problem recently trying to separate spot colors in illustrator cs3:

looking at this image:

In illustrator, the black is solid, with the narrower blue path on top of it, portraying "blue text" with a black "outline."

i want to create a blue screen, and a black, with the black as a trap layer.

this is an easy fix in photoshop, just magic wand the blue, select the black layer, delete, and then expand the blue a few points.

but in illustrator, i don't know. is there a way to "imprint" the blue path onto the black layer so i can go in and manually remove the unnecessary black areas?

does this make any sense?

any help would be huge. thanks in advance.

derek

·
Registered
487 Posts
Hi Derek,
I don't have Illustrator CS3, but I think I may be able to help:

Type your text, add your fill and stroke color, and then, convert to curves (outlines).

In your stroke palette you should have 3 "alignment" options.

Print your outline color first:
Step 2:

You'll see that when the outline is removed, that you now have a larger "trapped" fill to print.

This is VERY difficult to explain, but I hope this is what you meant, and that I've been of SOME help.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ann-

thank you very much for the reply. sorry i haven't had a chance to respond for a bit. i actually ended up retracing the entire image! oh man i need to learn much more about illustrator...

the steps you have outlined make alot of sense, and i hope to give them a try later this afternoon, it seems like i run into this type of scenario more and more often.

i'll post back with my results soon.

derek

·
Registered
119 Posts
Mr. Derek:
By sure the way Miss Ann show us is going to work, here is another way to do it:
1. Type your text
2. Convert to outlines
3. Expand the stroke only
4. Open your Pathfinder pallet, and select trap from the flyout arrow, a dialog box will open
5. In thickness type how much of a trap you want, let's say 3 points
6. Height/width leave it at 100% this is for offset printing, it is related to paper shrinkage
7. Tint reduction 30 or 40% will be OK. This feature is the one I like, it will reduce your density range underneath your trap, which it means less build-up and a cleaner print because your trap will fall in a halftone area.
Now if you zoom in, Illustrator will show you the amount of trap.
Hope this can help
Thanks,
Challenger

1 - 5 of 5 Posts