T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do I separate my artwork in Adobe illustrator CS2, then convert it to black and white. so that I can make it prepare it for screen printing.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I don't have Adobe CS but I'm willing to bet the process hasn't changed. But first a question to you.
How is your artwork set up?
C Y M K ?, Pantone or custom?
This will affect how the art work will seperate.
I personally perfer working in Pantone Coated since it more closely resembles how the final printed product will look.
Let me know and I'll try and help with the seps.
Fry

·
Registered
75 Posts
well if the work is already vectored and you have your colors lets say 4 total simply use the magic wand tool to select one of the colors, when clicking on a certain color it will select all colors of the same then simply group them together.

Also if the work is not vectored yet and you are not well experienced, I would suggest using the live trace options very hlepful

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
If it is a vector image, you need to turn your color swatches from process color to spot color. If it is a 3 color design, make 3 spot colors, and assign only those colors to your 3 colors in your artwork. You make them spot colors by double clicking the swatch, and change it to spot instead of process. If it is a .jpg image and you are separating is for 4 color process, it already has cmyk under the print settings. If you need to convert a .jpg to spot color, use live trace, and adjust the livetrace options to use the number of colors in your design, then change them to spot colors after the trace.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts