T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a couple of questions about selling bulk orders to retailers. First of all, how would you typically price these orders compared to your retail prices? Second, and more importantly, how do you find these retailers if you want to actively promote your products to them? Is there any kind of resource or database that lists t-shirt retailers, or do you have to just crawl around on the web until you find one here and there?

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
Re: looking for help

First of all, how would you typically price these orders compared to your retail prices?
While I don't have any hard and fast pricing guides, one thing to remember is that because it is a wholesale sale, you should not try to use the same type of markup that you would on a retail sale.

Generally, stores buying wholesale are looking to put a 100% markup (or so) when they sell the product at retail price in their brick and mortar store.

So remember that if you are selling 50 shirts to a store, you don't get to price them at $15 each :)

What I've done is to figure out what MY cost for that size order would be from the screen printer and then add on a small amount based upon how many the store is ordering (even $1 or $2 adds up when you're deailing with bulk quantities). Try to offer a sliding scale as well. Buying 25 shirts gives them one price, but buying 100 shirts gives them even better pricing (and your markup should decrease as their quantity increases).

Second, and more importantly, how do you find these retailers if you want to actively promote your products to them?
If you have an idea of the kind of retail/offline/brick and mortar store that your products would fit in, then you can do some research to try to find the "buyer" for that company and see if you can send them a sample or see what the process is for being reviewed for their store.

One big way t-shirt companies get picked up by retail stores is through the various t-shirt and sportswear tradeshows like Magic, ISS, Pool, and the Thread Show.

Is there any kind of resource or database that lists t-shirt retailers, or do you have to just crawl around on the web until you find one here and there?
I haven't seen a resource like this, but something similar may be out there somewhere.

Usually people already have an idea of which stores their designs would work in, and then they try to research the process of getting in that store.

Hope this helps :)

·
Registered
401 Posts
You need to work out where you save money when making more t-shirts opposed to just one. economies of scale.

Generally I would work out how much it costs me to make one item. Add on my markup for wholesale pricing, and add on my markup for retail.

Say it costs me $12 to make an item, I wholesale for $60 and retail for $120. hehe expensive t-shirts ;) I was just watching a program where a woman sold jewellery based on those margins but in pounds.

As long as you are covering your costs and making a profit that is all that matters. Selling wholesale is great because you make lots of money fast rather than selling one of two t-shirts you are selling 100s.

People will find you in search engines if you have a wholesale page. That is how I'm found. Wholesale directories will also list you so their paid members can see your link.

I was just looking at a site selling wholesale t-shirt designs today. I've worked with and sold t-shirts for a t-shirt design wholesaler for many years now. It works well.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Yes, I haven't actually done that but I can see it having advantages. Personally I don't know of any. Affiliate program managers work in a similar fashion.

Reactions: Kapedano

·
Registered
69 Posts
If your shirts cost 6 dollars to make, wholesale them for 12 dollars. The store would then mark it up 2.2. so around 25-28 dollars.

To find stores is easy, find a brand similar to yours and look at their store list.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts