T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

---I posted this in the UK specific section, but it also applies generally I think---

My business is at a point where I'm thinking about trying to sell to retail. At the moment, I sell at a market, through my website, and to a few very small designs shops (in small numbers).

We currently print on american apparel, which we love, but surely it must be difficult to approach some retailers with t-shirts from well established brands, such as AA or FOTL, even if your designs are highly original?

What have been your experiences with this? Is there a point in your business when you must try and find manufacturers in order to expand?

All help or knowledge welcome. :)

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
My experience tells my customers buy designs that they like and don't worry about what kind of shirt it printed on. If it looks cool or makes them laugh there going to buy it.
John

·
Premium Member
27,691 Posts
We currently print on american apparel, which we love, but surely it must be difficult to approach some retailers with t-shirts from well established brands, such as AA or FOTL, even if your designs are highly original?
Not at all. Retailers generally could care less what blank t-shirt you're using for your line as long as your designs are quality and the garment holds up. Most people just relabel the garment and no one knows or cares.

There's really no need to manufacture your own garments unless you can't find the style/color/fit in an existing blank or if you're doing large enough numbers (1000's per design) to where getting everything done custom makes more economic sense.

Some of the largest brands still use American Apparel, Alstyle, etc, just relabeled.

Some of the largest labels also get everything done custom.

I don't think getting something custom done is ever a "requirement" for getting your stuff in retail stores.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Try BBL urban range or maybe the new 'peached' t-shirts from Jerzees. Not a huge range of colours but both good quality.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts