T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, so I’m still fairly new, just now starting to make sales but still learning how to attract customers. The one thing I keep hearing over and over is to find my “niche” so there’s a lot of construction companies out here and I figured I’d try selling to them. I’m thinking custom hard hats, jackets, shirts, anything they could wear at the site. Does anyone have any advice for approaching them? Anything I can do to get their attention? Talk to me as if I don’t know anything about sales. Like should I cold call, email, or go to their office with samples?

Thanks guys :)

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
offer them safety colors that adhere to ansi/isea 107 (info here)
i use the gildan 8000 safety green for most tee's
be careful with other colors labeled 'safety' and/or other companies, they may not be compliant

simple black htv for their logo/company name/number in an easy to weed bold font
the main selling point of the above is no more safety vests, plus the advertising aspect

for tree removal companies we do the longsleeve safety green, as these keep your forearms from getting sappy
some like the 50/50 dryblend and some like the lighter weight 100% poly performance

mowing/most landscaping companies don't need saftey-wear on the jobsite, but they do like the high visibility of the safety colors and their name and phone number across the back shoulders

if you live in a cooler climate they also make safety green hoodies

make up some samples to bring with you, and wear one of your company tee's in a similar style

don't forget you will be getting bigger orders more often as the shirts are used and abused onsite, so you can offer a little better pricing to entice your prospective clients
'you' are what separates you from some online t-shirt factory, so comport yourself appropriately

here is the last one i did, front left chest logo and company info on the back

construction1.jpg contruction1 back.jpg

·
Registered
9,340 Posts
Reactions: into the T

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
be careful with other colors labeled 'safety' and/or other companies, they may not be compliant

simple black htv for their logo/company name/number in an easy to weed bold font
the main selling point of the above is no more safety vests, plus the advertising aspect

for tree removal companies we do the longsleeve safety green, as these keep your forearms from getting sappy
some like the 50/50 dryblend and some like the lighter weight 100% poly performance

mowing/most landscaping companies don't need saftey-wear on the jobsite, but they do like the high visibility of the safety colors and their name and phone number across the back shoulders

make up some samples to bring with you, and wear one of your company tee's in a similar style

don't forget you will be getting bigger orders more often as the shirts are used and abused onsite, so you can offer a little better pricing to entice your prospective clients
'you' are what separates you from some online t-shirt factory, so comport yourself appropriately

View attachment 272841 View attachment 272842
Okay, should I offer like every type of tshirt that comes in safety? I was thinking on just keeping it simple and selling them g5000s and g2000s. Also are the hardhats a good idea? I was thinking on using adhesive vinyl to print their logos on them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

View attachment 272841 View attachment 272842
Oh and should I not sell custom safety vests?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Keeping it simple in that way is not going to work.
Selling shirts is easy money, but you have to give customers what they want or they'll go to someone else.
How much variety are we talking, like Gildans entire catalog or a few shirts from each brand? I’m still learning about this so I apologize if I’m asking dumb questions 😅

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
How much variety are we talking, like Gildans entire catalog or a few shirts from each brand? I’m still learning about this so I apologize if I’m asking dumb questions 😅
I was new once too, and I started by doing something similar... I was selling to student groups.
Just like construction companies, students like low cost stuff, and will only buy what is useful to them.
In my case due to the lovely British weather t-shirts were not so popular, so I was selling mostly hoodies.
I had a few different models, and I would order any color they wanted, but I was often asked to print on big brand hoodies. French Connection was a popular brand I was printing at the time and it wasn't very expensive.

Also remember that people do appreciate the quality. Don't try selling them transfers cracking and falling off after 20 washes.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was new once too, and I started by doing something similar... I was selling to student groups.
Just like construction companies, students like low cost stuff, and will only buy what is useful to them.
In my case due to the lovely British weather t-shirts were not so popular, so I was selling mostly hoodies.

Also remember that people do appreciate the quality. Don't try selling them transfers cracking and falling off after 20 washes.
Yeah I’m using Supacolor and vinyl until I can get a screen printing shop.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Yeah I’m using Supacolor and vinyl until I can get a screen printing shop.
Vinyl is hard work but you could do samples and low volume jobs easy. I never really used it for production work.
Supacolor may be OK... what do they charge per transfer?
Nothing comes close to the 5 cents of plastisol ink.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Okay, should I offer like every type of tshirt that comes in safety? I was thinking on just keeping it simple and selling them g5000s and g2000s. Also are the hardhats a good idea? I was thinking on using adhesive vinyl to print their logos on them.
hardhats are a great idea, just have a supplier close (some companies like different colored hardhats depending on rank)
use oracal 651 and clean with alcohol before adhering the sign vinyl
the nice thing about that is it will lead to truck decals

i offer my normal tee's for casual tee's (usually m&o fine blend or the gildan 64000) and the safety green dryblend
anything over and above that is ordered specifically for them and prices adjusted if free shipping is not involved
i am a small player, so i don't keep anything out of my normal offerings in stock

htv has been our primary decoration method and works well for us
especially for these type of contruction tee's, fast cutting and fast weeding
i like the thermoflex plus/joto premium (check here for a good application method)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hardhats are a great idea, just have a supplier close (some companies like different colored hardhats depending on rank)

i offer my normal tee's for casual tee's (usually m&o fine blend or the gildan 64000) and the safety green dryblend
anything over and above that is ordered specifically for them and prices adjusted if free shipping is not involved
i am a small player, so i don't keep anything out of my normal offerings in stock
Haha yeah currently I’m working on a press and vinyl cutter in my closet, I’m getting 130 sqrft office but I don’t know if it’s enough room to really screen print. I’m waiting till I can get a bigger shop so I can at least buy a 4 ft belt dryer. I wish so badly I could just screen print 😩 but for now just using Supacolor for their quality. For a 8”x11” design its about $5/pc for 20 and $4/pc for 50 and a little under $3/pc for 100. I’m charging $3 for the g5000 and then $5 a print if you’re only getting 20 pcs. So for 20 g5000s its about $13 each

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

If they wanna order just 1 shirt I do vinyl and charge like $10 plus vinyl plus $3 for the blank. They can also order larger quantities in vinyl but I charge the same.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So for 100 g500s thats $9/pc ($3-shirt, $3-transfer, $3-profit) and that’s for 8”x11” and full color. For that quantity if you want 11”x16” its an extra $1 per shirt.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The 100 is basically $2/pc + consumables. Very reasonable.

Not bad. With a little bit of talent this can work.
And thanks that means a lot, I mostly just dont know who to talk to or if I need to email the construction or how to get noticed.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
start at any office you can find and have a card/sample/price list/etc. at the ready
time is money and they do not have time for a 45 minute time-share spiel

rejection is met with, thanks for your time, do you mind if i leave you my card in case you change your mind
always mention the saftey compliance of your tee's, and how they are easier to work in than a vest
also mention you do truck decals, including install if needed

do your cruising of jobsites at coffee or lunch

put an ad in the same local paper/community newsletter that the construction guys advertise in
it does not have to be big, color or flashy, just concise and professional

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
start at any office you can find and have a card/sample/price list/etc. at the ready
time is money and they do not have time for a 45 minute time-share spiel

rejection is met with, thanks for your time, do you mind if i leave you my card in case you change your mind
always mention the saftey compliance of your tee's, and how they are easier to work in than a vest
also mention you do truck decals, including install if needed

do your cruising of jobsites at coffee or lunch

put an ad in the same local paper/community newsletter that the construction guys advertise in
it does not have to be big, color or flashy, just concise and professional
When I mention safety compliance, is that with me printing with reflective vinyl like stahls 3M Scotchlite or is just printing on safety colors in compliance? (and in compliance with ANSI?)

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
that’s for 8”x11” and full color. For that quantity if you want 11”x16” its an extra $1 per shirt.
Well... the 8”x11” just about the right size for business type prints, so that's OK.
The problem will be when the customer wants prints on 3 areas.

I don't think you'll get many 100 shirt orders though...
I print for some local businesses from time to time and they only need 4 shirts/hoodies per employee.

I mostly just dont know who to talk to or if I need to email the construction or how to get noticed.
If people like what you have they'll buy it.. No sales skill are needed.
I used to give away custom hoodies with my details on the tag.
This works really well in a university campus environment, but I bet it will also work for business customers.
Who's going to spend time looking for a print shop, when they already know who printed a nice shirt they are wearing?
People may throw away or misplace your leaflet or business card, but they will not throw away a nice useful shirt with their business logo on it.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
When I mention safety compliance, is that with me printing with reflective vinyl like stahls 3M Scotchlite or is just printing on safety colors in compliance? (and in compliance with ANSI?)
reflective is usually reserved for night or traffic workers, general construction does not need them
but check with your local bylaw

1 - 20 of 31 Posts