T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys I wanted to start branching out into retail. Any tips on how to start selling to boutiques? Do I need a barcode for sure? Also I remember a recent post about insurance.. Is it necessary for both online and brick and mortar sales? Seems sort of silly that someone would get sued over someone dying because of a tee.

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
I don't believe you should have risk insurance if your product is manufactured by leading companies. if your selling your designs then your adding something to the product and you will want to guarantee the product against your product defects. How do you start.. Get out the door and start looking for stores. make a list of the stores that you want to call on and then make an appointment. Don't be afraid of the word no.. It is a standard answer.. It easier for them than saying yes. i do a lot of cold calls when I visit one client and I make sure that when i walk into a store my tee is under my arm and visible. or one of my tote bags. They see what you have and some of them may be curious as to the product and your price point. Oh and please make up a flyer of your pricing. maybe some pictures of the product. make a small catalog to leave with them. No sale.. move on.. do not take the word no as their final answer, sometimes they do call back. Lou

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks badalou.Do you recommend sending press kits to stores? I was thinking of assembeling a press kit, either in the form of a PDF or actual print. Then sending them to some stores. After that I was thinking that contacting them asking if they received the press kit, and possibly sending a sample. Does that seem like a solid plan?

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
I'd recommend a proper brochure. Make it hip and snazzy! Depending on the shop, a sample pack might have a couple of shirts and a printed brochure (or even a pdf brouchure on cd).

Obviously, for big places (and often very small), there'll also be a face-to-face meeting.

EDIT: Even for me, that was typo heavy...

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
Nick nailed it. Press releases is not what you send a store. With that you want to get to your local paper. I make catalogs for all my products. Pictures say a lot. Whatreally works is a 8 x 10 glossy flyer. it makes the colors stand out.

·
Premium Member
27,700 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts