T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where do I start in getting the licensing rights? Or should I try to buy bulk from someone who is already cleared?

·
Registered
950 Posts
Wow, that's a pretty cool link Rodney. It makes me wonder how they can get licensing rights to all those bands.

·
Premium Member
27,700 Posts
Were can I get licensed trendy rock and punk teeshirt transfers for resale?
They usually don't sell band designs as transfers, they are usually sold wholesale as printed shirts by places like newworldsales.com and the link above.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I don't do licensing but from what I have been able to gather usually you have to pay a fee for the use of whatever images the licensor is allowing you to use.
An acquaintance of mine has a license to do a lot of punk rock and trendy rock shirts like Germs, Ramones, Clash, etc. so I don't know how well it'll go over with him if he finds out someone else is doing transfers of his license! LOL!

John

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
In general, to get licenses, contact the artist management. Not easy to get thru and it most cases someone else may already have the zone merchandising rights.

I guess when their contract runs out, you can always try to get the licenses then. Anythin *ROCK* is a Big Business that involves a lot of money and risk of course.

:

·
Registered
138 Posts
Remember, the artists get residuals from the sale of their stuff. No matter how long ago they started. It all adds up in the end so you will be able to find a seller. That's the hard part, finding an "in". Do the legwork, and it might pay off. Selling "Pink Floyd" is easier than selling "Joe and the Tornados." Even though it only makes you a couple of cents a tshirt, it's better than nothing a tshirt. Those pennies add up. Finding the connection is the hard part. That's what all those infomercials are about.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Remember, the artists get residuals from the sale of their stuff. No matter how long ago they started. It all adds up in the end so you will be able to find a seller. That's the hard part, finding an "in". Do the legwork, and it might pay off. Selling "Pink Floyd" is easier than selling "Joe and the Tornados." Even though it only makes you a couple of cents a tshirt, it's better than nothing a tshirt. Those pennies add up. Finding the connection is the hard part. That's what all those infomercials are about.
True but those pennies better add up to some big unit counts otherwise it's not worth doing. I had someone offer me the license for Army/Navy/Air Force/Marines to do belt buckles. They wanted $250,000. Was it worth it? It would seem so on the surface but after having researched it my return on investment would have taken 3 years. 1 year longer than the license timeline was for. Imagine, after having put in all that hard work building up the buckle business, the licensor would have taken it back and cashed in on all my hard work. Do your homework if you want to get into the licensee game.

John

·
Registered
38 Posts
I feel like you could create your own designs around Rock Bands, maybe just a "Rock and Roll" theme of shirts? Yeah it isn't supporting someone's favorite band, but it does support the genre of music they love. I am sure you could create a line that peaks a lot of interest and would have no licensing obligations.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Firstly, contact the artist's management (record company) and negotiate with them. I have first hand experience of this, and I can tell you it is a very expensive process. Band merchandise is a very lucrative business. To buy exclusive rights to band merchandise, will cost you thosands, if not millions of dollars.
Secondly, don't be tempted to print pirate (unlicensed) merchandise on a large scale, as you will be subjected to expensive lawsuits and fined a huge amount of money, if you are caught.
Thirdly, you can buy official merchandise from official outlets, avoiding any copyright problems. My recommendation to you is, to go through those channels.
Printing and selling (or perhaps not being able to sell) is an expensive and very, very time consuming pastime. A six coloured separation silk screened t-shirt will give you an enormous headache, if you don,t have much experience of printing or have the right machines for the process.
Sorry to sound negative, but I am offering you sound advice, from my own first hand experience in this matter.
Good luck with your business!!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Licensing can be lucrative, but I don't think it's as simple as it sounds. I can imagine that if they're a band (or brand) worth buying because of an existing clientele, then the license will probably be pretty expensive. It doesn't seem like the kind of business venture you can immediately live of off, unless you have an tremendous amount of initial capital or and immediate avenue for distribution.

·
Registered
72 Posts
You would look up wholesale licensed t-shirts or band merchandising.

Here's a company that does a lot of wholesale brand names:
Worldwide Wholesale Distributors of Licensed Rock, Indie, Latin, Metal, Reggae and Novelty T-Shirts, Stickers, Patches, Flags and more!
Rodney, many thanks!!
i was just thinking to post a questioning thread about that. i own a record store but business aren't so high these days so i am looking for another field. if you know somemore companies like backstage fashion that would you please let us know about?
kind regards
ilias

·
Registered
3 Posts
It is the same a reproducing a "disney" t-shirt; you can't just start making Mickey T-shirts and selling them. Whoever has permission to reproduce the artwork must pay a royalty to do so and has an agreed contract. I know first hand that there are agencies out there in cyberspace that monitor on-line stores and if you get caught with an unlicensed product, you will totally get in trouble. First time, you just have to stop selling, but continued offenses I am sure there will be lawsuits.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Be creative and think of things that a band is known for.
There are no copy-right laws to be concerned with. Take the Let it be t-shirt I just used the same font as the Beatles did but different words. I wore one to work and people where all over it. I think that is more of a logical way to cash in on the rock world worry free.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts