T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I recently went to a soccer tournament and saw a vendor selling replica soccer jerseys and heat pressed hooded sweaters with premiership logos and numbers. I have also seen people on ebay selling adidas, nike, puma etc...decals and patches on ebay..

My question is how are these people able to sell these items if they dont own the copyright or trademark.

Is this acceptable to do?? I was wondering where to find the printed vinyl logos for soccer teams and adidas style fonts and numbers to heat press into sweaters myself.

This company was making a killing selling these and I thought hey if its legit I would like a piece of that pie myself.

BUT I do not want to do anything to get introuble with law suites.

Do these folks have permission to use adidas numbers and what not.?? How does one go about getting permission if needed and where do I purchase these logos??

Thanks for your help...

· Premium Member
12,270 Posts
Yes, you need permission. No, companies like Nike and Adidas won't give it to you. People get away with it because we live in a highly imperfect world. But sometimes they get theirs, and we all get to point and laugh.

· Registered
1,546 Posts
Hi Rich. A lot of people 'sail close to the wind' with parody tees and items that bear a similarity to existing products. There is a bit of a difference from that though and making direct counterfeit copies of existing items. Compromising mainstream team logos and leading sports brands isn't the best of ideas.

· Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I dont want to do anything to get a lawsuite on my hands. I just was not sure if these folks had some specail rights and all. I read somewhere if you sell things as replicas and not as the legit thing its ok..for example rolex replicas...

I have strong integrity especially as a designer and I do not want to sell items that are not legally mine to sell. I just was not sure if there was special permissions and how one goes about it..I see these types of jerseys and other items at the swapmeet all the time.

Thanks for your responces..

Rich

· Premium Member
7,895 Posts
Hi Rich,

Some people do have permission, have paid for the license. The problem is, you can't tell who has and who hasn't. It's not safe to assume either way.

There are vendors who are authorized to sell licensed transfers that you can buy legally from them. They buy the expensive license, and re-sell to you.

There are threads on where to find these suppliers on the forum. I think Art Brands may be one of them. I can't remember for sure. If you search "licensed tranfers" on the forum, you may find the threads.

· Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for your input. I think I will just stick to custom design work that I do and have rights to sell.

I will let the swapmeet vendors do their own thing...

Does not meen I can't sell some cool original vip graphx soccer shirts..I can still find away to profit and local tournaments and in the end I can hold my head up high knowing its my artwork on those shirts.:D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.