T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully I'm in the right forum... Anyway, I'm curious if anyone has information as to how to sell the designs themselves. Say I have a design that I'm using on a t-shirt but someone wants to use/buy it for an album or cd cover type of thing. So light to sell the rights?

Marie :)

·
Premium Member
27,700 Posts
I don't know much about this, but I've read that licensing the image is one way to keep the rights and still sell copies of the image.

You would need to make sure you define the printing rights to the person you are selling it to.

Hopefully other members with more experience will be able to offer more input :)

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
You would need to make sure you define the printing rights to the person you are selling it to.
Agree 100%. Selling rights to certain images, quanities, etc is a tough gig,. You have to be able to check up on the persons or you will never know. I always go the route of selling outright. It is easier. Just charge accordingly. If you know a band is going to use for a cd make sure you get some serious cake. Charging per item with a licensing fee is tough to controll unless your a huge operation.

You will want a lawyer to draw up a contract. A business lawyer would be one you would want to talk with.

Ex.
I worked out a deal with Shinedown(Atlantic Records). I got their Merch printing for 2 year for my design. They used it on their first single, a stage banner and drum heads. I received more than enough printing to compensate, Mtyself and Business was/is recognized on the CD and I received their Gold and Platinum albums.

I have gotten other business due to this as well so the trade was great for both parties.

·
Registered
50 Posts
...off topic but related.
one time i heard a record producer tell a friend musician that he " the producer " did not want to hear my friends demo tape because he was paranoid that it may sound like something he was working on with other bands records he was producing.

I thought that was funny.... What the heck ? lol

Yes, define the terms of use to start.:)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Rodney, I was thinking of retaining some of the reproduction rights but reading Fluid's posts I see my gut feeling to sell outright would probably be a lot less hassle then wondering and having to "watch".

Thanks for your advice Fluid that's just about what I needed to know, but don't have much of a clue what to ask uh, any clues how to figure that out?? Ballpark I'd fell silly if I asked too much and stupid if I asked too little or would the buisness lawyer be able to advise me? Are there any ballpark figures say for a cd image? Does size of image have the faintest bearing, some bands are still and begining to produce records again, at least here they are...

Scrap-Boy, oh I get that, I do not like looking at other peoples stuff, course more than one person can come up with a very similar thing, but I'd like to think it was at least an original thought on my part. lol :D

Marie

·
Premium Member
27,700 Posts
Isn't creative commons a "free" license? I think the original poster is trying to get paid for their work.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
Creative commons licences are to facilitate putting your work partially into the public domain. Basically allowing others to benefit from your work (to varying degrees, defined by the owner) without completely giving up your copyright protection and ownership rights.

As far as I know it's useless for selling your designs to a third party but retaining personal rights.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Specify

1. The length of use.
2. The right to approve the design
3. Exactly what it will be used for.
4. Whether the items that the design will be used for will be retailed.
5. If it will be retailed do you want a commision per item sold?
6. Proof of how it is used. For example if it was printed on a tee. Copies of the printing receipts.
7. Method of payment.
8. Date or dates of payment.
9. The right to end contract if the project has not been started after a certain amount of time.
10. If used in print do you want to be mentioned each time it's used?
11. If you have a dispute and have to go to court where will the dispute be handled.
12. Who is responsible for law fees?

Those are the basics.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts