T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
From what I can gather...and of course this is not legal council just an opinion, matters of intent are hard to define (as in the letter of the law), so they are left a little grey. If you get too near the big dogs bone, your gonna get bit in a legal way. They have resources a small guy just doesn't. So are you too small to be noticed? Have you stayed on your side of their opinion about what they own? Have they got more pressing problems? Does the lawyer they have on retainer need practice? What have you got to loose anyway? In legal matters doing whats right equals having the right. Having the right equals being able to afford to present a compelling case to judge or jury. The jury pool I sat on last year was I think about three years in the making. I have heard first hand stories about what a large company can afford to get away with. So you just have to ask yourself one question, are you feeling lucky? Well are you. :):):):) Sorry about the Dirty Harry thing :):):):) I hope they don't sue me for using it. LOL

·
Registered
6,680 Posts
I am curious, does anyone know where is the line drawn on this sorta thing?
Any time a logo is used as a spoof, it's infringement. But it's up to the trademark owner to take action. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't.

It is possible in these situations to use the parody or fair use defense if you are sued. But there is no guarantee this will work. It will be up to a judge to decide based on the specifics of the case.

I want to try to cash in on this avenue of shirts but don't want to get into trouble...
In all likelihood, the only one cashing in will be your defense attorney.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts