T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yo Whats up. I'm new and this is my first post, so if this is the wrong places to ask this let me know. If anybody has any information about how to sell designs or what resources to go to sell them to a clothing line with there logo on it especially how to show them samples without getting jerked I’ve already contacted the clothing line and have permission to create something with there logo on it but I don’t want to just sell them the designs for like $1000 and then they go and make millions off my designs with out me getting credit for it or compensation for it. Is there a professional way to send them so they can’t take the idea without paying me? And how do I set all of this up, payment etc? If I have to copyright them how do I go about it; Is there a website that has templates of t-shirts or clothing that I can put the designs on and still make it look professional? Also is there any ware to send designs/files over the internet that are large files or is it better to mail them a disk with them on it. Last question is there a way to set it up were U get a percentage of what they sell with your design even though it has there logos on it. Your help is GREATLY appreciated!!!

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Re: Hott Topic!!!

I don't know much about selling designs to big brands....I suspect the *vast* majority do not buy external designs, but do everything internally.

There are dozens of sites out there that buy designs, but most are in the form of competitions, with prizes from $100-$1000. But to win most of those, you have to be very good. And very, very few professional places will pay you a percentage.

If you search "freelance" in the search box to the left, you'll find links to places you can offer your services, but those places are usually skewed to the buyer, not the seller, and I've heard it's often hard to pick up any leads.

Could you post an example of your work, so we'd know which sort of site may be interested?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Re: Hott Topic!!!

If you're making $1000 per design, I'd roll with it to build up your portfolio with some hot sellers. But the key would be to keep track of how the design does out on the market. Once you get a couple under your belt you should have enough leverage to take a percentage of sales... but I mean $1000 is a pretty nice comission <sp?> in and of itself.

Say the company is clearing $10 per shirt as profit and you can negotiate a 10% royalty (which is the high end of the industry standard per Yahoo), you'd have to wait till they sold 1000 shirts before you make what you're making now... and who wants to wait that long?

Unless these guys are moving that kind of volume like its nobody's business, I think that you're doing pretty well for yourself. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts