T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I’m new here and new to t-shirt business. I have designed some T-shirts for women in “designer tee” market, and I want to get started marketing.
-Firstly how many different designs do you recommend to start off with, so far I have 6, is that enough?
-When printing the t-shirts approximatly how many should I start out with of each size?
-I was wondering how I go about approaching some of the small boutiques and internet boutiques. I can’t afford to send a sample t-shirt to every company I want to approach. Should I send high quality photos of the t-shirt and a sample piece of the fabric, or a catalogue and ask them to contact me if they want a sample, or is it important to have a website up and running before I start sending samples out, so the tee's can be viewed online, (because I was going to set up a website a bit later).
-or does anyone use sales reps to help them out, If so where do you find them?
Any suggestions would really help.
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
27,700 Posts
mm11981 said:
-Firstly how many different designs do you recommend to start off with, so far I have 6, is that enough?
Sure. Some have started out with just one :)

-When printing the t-shirts approximatly how many should I start out with of each size?
Depends on your budget. You'll get better pricing if you start out with larger numbers, but you'll minimize your risk if you start out with smaller numbers.

25 or so (total per design) is usually the minimum for most printers. I've heard that a size ratio of 1:2:2:1 (small:medium:large:xlarge)is a good way to start out if you don't have a grasp yet on what sizes your particular market wears more (some markets require more XXL and some don't require any Smalls)

-I was wondering how I go about approaching some of the small boutiques and internet boutiques. I can’t afford to send a sample t-shirt to every company I want to approach. Should I send high quality photos of the t-shirt and a sample piece of the fabric, or a catalogue and ask them to contact me if they want a sample, or is it important to have a website up and running before I start sending samples out, so the tee's can be viewed online, (because I was going to set up a website a bit later).
You can go to tradeshows to find stores looking for new product lines (and get contacts).

You can also try to find the buyer's name for various stores yourself and either go in person or give them a call and ask them the process of being considered for their store. They may let you know if they need a sample or if they can just view them online.

I think it's a good idea to *some* type of website up and running so you can send people to who want to learn more about your product (in their own time).

-or does anyone use sales reps to help them out, If so where do you find them?
I haven't heard about any smaller companies doing this. Most seem to do it all themselves (or have an in-house employee that is assigned to "sales")
[/QUOTE]

:welcome:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hello csmgrl,

Rodney covered most of the topic but from personal experience I think the best thing to do is:

1) Make a lookbook of your designs, if possible show pictures of people wearing them so the buyers will know the fit. Create a lifestyle theme..(see my book for reference http://www.raakmo.com/lookbook/lookbook.pdf).
2) Make a list of all the stores that you believe can carry your product.
3) Call the stores and get the buyer info.
4) Call the buyer and introduce your company and product. Try to setup a time to stop by and show your stuff to them. Also, get their email address and email them your lookbook (and website info if you have one). Comes in very handy when you come out with new designs.

You can actually buy a list of stores from places like infomat.com. But you will still have to call each store and get in touch with the right buyer. If you don't want to do your own sales there are showrooms that you can contact to carry your line and present it to buyers.

Hope this helps...

·
Premium Member
27,700 Posts
Thanks for the great info, Raakmo!

Do you know any website/names for the showrooms that you can contact to carry your line and present it to buyers?

Thanks for the lookbook example as well (it's freakin awesome :)). Did you design that yourself or have it put together for you?

Any suggestions for what to say to the buyer to get them excited about your product or at least to get your foot in the door?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Rodney said:
Any suggestions for what to say to the buyer to get them excited about your product or at least to get your foot in the door?
Buyers want to know what's different about your product. Any celebrities wearing your stuff or any magazines showing/mentioning your product will definitely catch their attention.

If I think of something else I'll definitely let you konw..

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Raamko,

I want to checkout your lookbook too! I can't see it, only the first page comes up, also how do you get your t-shirt in the hands of celebrities, or is there somewhere to find their publicist info?

·
Registered
23 Posts
The look book is in PDF format. You can use arrow keys to scroll through the book.

As for celebrities...PR firms work the best. They already have established connections with celebrities and can get your stuff to them easily.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts