T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be selling my clothes at a festival in another state. Does anyone know how I collect sales tax on this? I buy my t-shirts in FL, print in FL, but I will be selling the shirts in WV. Do I go by Floridas law, or West Virginias?

·
Registered
414 Posts
For me, if I were to sell in another state using my business lic I dont collect tax but if I sell within my business lic state I charg tax. You can always up the price and not charge tax but set a portion of the sales aside to pay tax on sold items.
Best to check with laws in your state.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Most states require you to charge, collect, & remit sales tax on items SOLD in their state. This could also involve sales tax for the county also. A good place to start is to go to the website of the Revenue Dept for whatever State you're selling in. They should have info on what you need to do, if not, then a phone call should answer your questions.
At the flea market, adjust your prices to include the sales tax, and round off to nearest dollar to make a simple. Also, figure approx. how many XXL & XXXL you'll sell, and just add that to your price, so that all your shirts of the same type sell for the same price (which includes tax, and something extra to cover XXL & XXXL). That makes it easy so when a customer walks up to your table, you sign will say $XX.00 per shirt. Also, you might consider offering discounts for multiple quantities; customers like a "deal" and will tend to buy two if there's some type of discount.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I'm in Calli and I never collect sales tax in other states, the law says unless you have an office in that state then you do not need to collect the tax. It's the responsibility of the purchaser to pay the tax come tax time.

You will fine this is 95% true with all online companies as well.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Hi, what if i use the name yankees or redsox can i get in some trouble?? I know if you use the yankees emblem i can get screwed. I see alot of people selling F the yankees or screw the redsox Lol can i make and sell t-shirts like that and be ok?

·
Registered
68 Posts
You only have to pay taxes in the state that you're doing business in. If you're selling tees one time at a festival or event you do not have to pay taxes. How would you remit taxes with the state without having a sales and use tax ID? That's the way I understand it.

·
Registered
549 Posts
OK folks ... fdsales is CORRECT. To make it simple: YOU MUST COLLECT APPROPRIATE SALES TAX 'where you are standing.'

So, for ONLINE sales, you only need collect sales tax on the sales within your state. However, if you PHYSICALLY sell in another state, you must go by the rules of THAT state. You need to apply for a sales tax license, then collect and submit collected taxes when due. Just as your customers must pay sales tax according to THAT state, not the state they reside in.

I've had a vendor booth the last eight years and set up in about 10 states (live in the northeast... lots of states in a small area). When you are attending these events, there is always the possibility of being 'audited' (someone checking for your license). Many of my contracts now require proof of the appropriate sales tax license.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts