T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are always talking about making money off of the internet. We don't seem to remember that we can also sell at shows and events.

How many people her sell at events or trade shows? Can you tell the rest of us:

1) what the money is like

2) planning

3) specail needs

4) marketing at & before the show/event

5) anything you know that I may have left out

Thanks for the chats a head of time. Now let's start posting. I'm sure there are others wanting to learn also.;)

·
Premium Member
27,700 Posts
RELL said:
I heard about an event in Las Vegas not to sure of anything else
That would probably be the big mamma jamma (Magic - www.magiconline.com).

There are also a number of different t-shirt tradeshows coming up. There's a couple in San Diego later this year:
http://www.t-shirtforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25

I think there's also POOL which happens at the same time, similar location as MAGIC in Las Vegas.

There are more in this thread:
http://www.t-shirtforums.com/showthread.php?t=1245&highlight=tradeshows+t-shirts

There are also local events that you could sell at and get involved in (Car Shows, Brewfest, Jazz Festivals, Music Shows, etc).

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jasonda said:
What kind of trade shows are you planning on attending?
At motorcycle events and a few mason events. If I can, at some car shows as well.

·
Registered
9,213 Posts
Buechee said:
At motorcycle events and a few mason events. If I can, at some car shows as well.
Well, One thing you can look at doing is to carry a catalog and use the show as a marketing tool to get sales after the show. The show itself should break even for cost/sales if you are looking to make sales after the even from the contacts. Make sure you give out your catalog and/or business cards.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Buechee said:
Here ya go!!!! Import Faceoff, Dayton Ohio, Sept. 10th. Your contact is Cliff at Hybrid Entertainment. Wesite is importfaceoff.net Now go and get a booth and sell your gear.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'd recommend doing a couple of small car shows or motorcycle events to get your feet wet. We've done just a few small shows so far and learn something new each time.
We started out with a pop up canopy, 2 cheap garmet racks, a couple of folding tables and chairs.
We take reciept books, pens, catalogs, business cards, table cloths, signage, and alot of stuff I've forgotten to list, lol.
Now I have a 6x10 trailer, heat press and generator.
Once we get our operation down pat, we'll be looking for bigger show to make more money.

·
Registered
3 Posts
We started out with a pop up canopy, 2 cheap garmet racks, a couple of folding tables and chairs.
Am I correct to assume you only sold pre-printed shrts, etc. when you got started doing shows..........

Now I have a 6x10 trailer, heat press and generator.
And now you do custom stuff "made to order" at shows, etc. So far, does the investment to take your "show on the road" seem worthwhile? Do you offer graphics customization or a selection of pre-set designs?

Thanks in advance for your input!

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
I started out selling vinyl decals and fullside auto graphics. We then got into offering cad-cut heatpress vinyl custom t-shirts. We now do all the above and sell plastisol transfers on shirts. Next step is sunglasses I think...gotta have those point of sale items.

·
Registered
101 Posts
T-licious said:
Am I correct to assume you only sold pre-printed shrts, etc. when you got started doing shows..........

And now you do custom stuff "made to order" at shows, etc. So far, does the investment to take your "show on the road" seem worthwhile? Do you offer graphics customization or a selection of pre-set designs?

Thanks in advance for your input!
I've only done a few shows, I bought the trailer to get since it was a good deal and to get some of the supplies and invetory out of my house.:)

Yes we started out with pre-printed only. You have to carry much more inventory if you do it that way.
If you offer several designs you have to print them in several sizes and/or colors.
People like being able ot pick out their design and have you make it while they wait. It cuts way down on inventory.
As far as true custom work, I'm working on being able to take a picture of a persons car and put it on a shirt. I've had several requests for this. I've made a couple of practice shirts for family members. I need a better camera and a computer I can take with me.
So the investment does seem worthwhile but only time will tell.

The way I look at is that the trailer, generator and like items are things that could be sold if I ever decide to get out of it.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I see that some of you have the same ideas and goals as I. It is nice to see that we all have the same plan and can talk to each other and learn.

I also plan to get into sunglasses. I am looking to get a lap top so I can do pictures on tees as well. But I think a epson that prints from a memory card will work for that. Not sure, as I would want to resize and maybe add graphics to the shirt too.

I knew I needed a table and a tent, but I never thought about a trailer yet. We, me & the wife, where thinking of getting a van to use for shows. I figure I can get one cheaper than an SUV and have more usable space and cheaper on gas.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Something to remember as you move into bigger and better events. Spaces are usually sold in 10x10 blocks. Probably the main reason I havent gone the full vending trailer rout. If you buy a 10x20 space you are going to want to utilize every inch of it as fees for that space increase. Sometimes they will let you slide a bit but larger events generally will not.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
66shirts said:
A van is a great idea. The first couple of shows we did, everything fit in our Pontiac Aztek. Here's our set-up now.
Man I was thinking of a mini van. Thats a lot of stuff, well for a mini it might be. Do any of the places you've done supply anything at all? Things like tables or power.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Most larger events will rent you tents and tables but the prices are silly. I drive a Jeep Cherokee 01 with a cargo rack on the back that slips into the hitch. I take 2 10x10 popups, 5 six foot folding tables, a bin of vinyls, t-shirt blanks, 6 banners, a computer, 24" plotter, tool box, 6 bindered catalogs, 2 chairs, 15x15 heatpress, 4 shop lights, 2 50 foot extension cords, cooler and luggage for two, 5 bins of pre-cut vinyl decals, 100 pre-made t-shirts...we are packed. Amazing what you can pack!!!!! Anyhoo...now I just want...no wait...just rented a 4x8 trailer from U_Haul for $9.95 a day. They didnt charge me for the pick up or drop off day...that is incredible. A 5x8 was $18.95 a day...go figure that one. Wow now I am rambling but the lesson is....look at everything twice!!! If you are going to do events...plan it down to the dollar.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Good tip motoskin on the u-haul. You pack alot of stuff in a jeep!
The events I have done supply nothing some have power some don't. It's important you ask things like that when you are booking the event. We are working on a check list of questions to ask promoters. Such as...
1. Is there power?
2. How big is the event?
3. Set up time
4. Ending time
5. Fees
6. Is there a rain date if needed.
7. Is there other vendors selling the same or similar items as yours.

I'm sure there are more that we haven't even thought of.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What is a rain date? Or should I say what do you mean by rain date?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Buechee said:
What is a rain date? Or should I say what do you mean by rain date?

Some outdoor events such as car shows and drag racing could be cancelled if it rains that day. Matter of fact I race and I'm sitting home right now waiting to see if it's going to clear up today so I can race.:(

You don't want to be scheduled for an event, it rains out and you get stuck with product.
You also want to becareful that a rain date doesn't conflict with another event you may be doing the next weekend.
Big events such as NASCAR Truck series might be scheduled for a Fri. night. If it rains they will race on Sat. If it rains on Sat. they will race on Sun.

It all depends on the event, some are rain or shine.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts