T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am going to a street party my town is having on Saturday evening. It will be my first event so I have a lot of nervous excitement. There are several Ocktoberfest festival coming up and I am thinking of attending those also. I am primarily targeting the 30-50 age range and I think these would be good places to find that demographic. Does anyone have experience with these type of events?

I am wearing my shirts all the time and always get positive comments. I always give people a card but no one is going to the site and buying. I am at least getting some traffic.

Liking something and liking it enough to spend money on it are two very different things.

PS.

Anyone wanna buy a t-shirt???

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
VERY different indeed. We did an event a few weeks ago... managed to break even, at least (it was 2 days, and the first day we sold all of 3 shirts, so we weren't sure we'd even manage that). It gets extremely frustrating to have so many people say how much they like the shirts, look at them all carefully, point out the ones they like the most to their friends... and then leave.

Really makes it hard to say would one should do differently when you offer a fair price and people like the shirts... well, we're working on it, I guess. Maybe I'll let you know when I find the magic formula ;P

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am going with a price of $9.44 +tax so the total is $10 even. I have them on my site for $9.95 but don't want to deal with making change.

Do most vendors accept credit cards at the shows? I hope that at this price point most people will have the money on hand.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
SpacemanFL said:
I am going with a price of $9.44 +tax so the total is $10 even. I have them on my site for $9.95 but don't want to deal with making change.
$10 to not deal with change is a good idea. I also think it'll look like you're doing a cheaper price for the event - if I saw a price of $10 flat I'd assume the normal price was $14.95 or something.

SpacemanFL said:
Do most vendors accept credit cards at the shows? I hope that at this price point most people will have the money on hand.
I've noticed it's becoming more and more common to accept credit cards at venues where it barely even seems possible. I don't know if it's got to the point of "most" yet, but I wouldn't have thought so.

I agree that at that price most people will have the cash on hand, the only potential problem is that people bring a limited amount of cash to these sort of things, and are very reluctant to part with it "in case they see something better".

That said, your pricing is right to have people part with their cash and not wait.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Since we already had a credit card machine with my dad's automotive business, we just set up a seperate accont on that machine and take town people's info at the event and charge them later. We don't have one of those slider things (to make an impression of the card) yet, but we'll get a used one cheap somewhere. If you can do this, make sure you get the following: CC#, CID#, Expiration, Name, Zip, and Signature. Also, advertise (i.e. put up a sign) that you take cards if you can take them.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There were some difficulties but I made it through the event. The 20 mph winds were blowing the neatly folded tees a bit. The intermittent rain actually helped by weighting down the shirts enough to keep them in place. I had a 10x10 canopy (Lowes) which kept most of the rain out. It was a street party so most people were drinking and listening to bands and not serious shoppers. I had a 2' x 6' banner attached to the front of the tables that helped catch their attention. Everyone who stopped by loved the shirts but it was 2 hours before the first sale, Hallelujah! She took advantage of the buy 3 get 1 free. Total of 4 customers with 7 tees sold. I didn't see anyone else who had bought a thing besides beer & food. I only had about 1/2 of all my available content there and handed out many business cards so people could check out the rest. Should be interesting to see if there is a spike in my site hits. It was hard to converse with the customers with the bands going. At least it got me some exposure and direct feedback.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Sounds about like my first go too, local town Celebration... it didn't help that it was rescheduled to a different date due to weather (it hadn't been canceled for like 25 years prior). We sold 2 shirts right off and nothing the rest of the day (save a few paper flowers me made as a diversion/cheap item/kid item)... and talking to the other vendors, no one was buying much of anything. Basically, squirt guns (it was a hot day) and food/drink :p

I didn't really notice much of a jump in the web stats (for the more recent event I mentioned in my earlier post)... there did seem to be more people who actually looked through the site rather than leave immediately, at least.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts