T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone - I'm new here. I was wondering about any legal issues involved in selling a t-shirt I made. The design is my own (created in Adobe Illustrator), but it's an artistic depiction of the president of the college I'm attending. I was wondering if there would be any possible legal obstacles for me in such a situation.

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
Possible legal obstacles, yes (right to publicity and, depending on content, defamation to name two). To get a definitive answer you'd need to consult a lawyer though. You may or may not have a problem (Schrödinger's t-shirt!).

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I don't know about the legal perspective, but I hope it's a flattering depiction, just in case he's the guy that marks your papers. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh yes - it's not defamatory by any means - it's more of a "fanclub" type shirt. I suppose then, that based on right of publicity, the president could press charges, if he wanted to? Would perhaps a form of consent from the president be advised?

Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
...I suppose then, that based on right of publicity, the president could press charges, if he wanted to? Would perhaps a form of consent from the president be advised?

Thanks again.

I think this quote below still fits the bill, and best wishes, hope it works out, is fun and he loves it:

Solmu said:
To get a definitive answer you'd need to consult a lawyer

R1Lover said:
If you look at the links on the left you will see all the info you need on this.
And doing a bit of research, with the link to copyright website on the left, will help you becoming more knowledgable. It is a really good website, not overwhelming or confusing. You may find your answer for free, or at least get a good idea of what you are trying to ask the lawyer. :)

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
Would perhaps a form of consent from the president be advised?
If you think he might be receptive it's a great idea. You might be able to do it without his permission (as I said, you'd want to ask a lawyer), but doing it with his permission is obviously preferable.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes... I've decided to meet with him and discuss my plans. Thanks for the help, everyone.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts