T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, i'm just starting out in shirt biz this place has answered alot of my questions but my 1st aim is to sell to mates then move too stores, going very well so far got 100 orders pretty quick through mates and mates of mates that have seen my designs on facebook getting alot of interest, im realistic but ambitious to, wanting to get myself into a position where (idealy) i'm selling 20 shirts consistantly per week (ambitious), hardest part for me to find out is, how much profit should i make, so i know how much to pitch them to stores for so i can look confident negotiating a price. They are similar style to travisty i'd say i could sell them for $49.95-$59.95 but as its not a well known brand i will have to start out selling them cheeper. any ideas on profit margin, each shirt screenprinted csts $15 to make, using gildan shirts (looking for a higher quality travisty style cut with thin tappered neckline but, cannot for the life of me find any!) first i need to get that cost down, which i will by printing in bulk if i land a few contracts..any help or ideas greatly appreciated! cheers

·
Registered
52 Posts
Rule of thumb is you buy for 1, sell to retailers for 2. Retailers buy for 2 and sell to consumer for 4.
$15 is ALOT of money to print up a shirt. How many colors/screens are you using? You need to start getting wholesale pricing.

·
Administrator
14,019 Posts
They are similar style to travisty i'd say i could sell them for $49.95-$59.95 but as its not a well known brand i will have to start out selling them cheeper. any ideas on profit margin, each shirt screenprinted csts $15 to make
Unfortunately, if your cost to produce is $15, when it's all said and done, your shirts will have to retail for $50-$60 too.

$50 for a Gildan is a stretch.

As Mickey stated, $15 to produce a Gildan tee is way, way too much, regardless of decoration technique. Why so high?

Here is a standard pricing model:

Cost to produce X 2 = Your wholesale price to stores.

Your wholesale price to stores X 2 = retail price to consumer.

Based on this formula, your Gildan would have a retail cost of $60. The only way to get this down is to either reduce your production costs and/or reduce your profit.

·
Registered
8,082 Posts
agree with the others...$15 to produce a shirt is waaaaay out of line...cost of Tee..around $2...give or take .50 cents...how in the hell can you spend another $12.50 or so in cost to decorate?? you really need to redo something..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great advice from all!! costs are so high because i'm going with small number of prints 100 and other companies in perth Australia will produce in bulk for cheaper but not 100...price of gildan shirts the guy is charging is $6...how do i buy direct for cheaper? Have been thinking about going through a chinese custom company (no idea where?? any ideas), wanting them to do similar to travisty style...but unsure as to where to start.. and handing over so much money is a risk if they send back ****ty shirts. Thanks all for your wise words, good advice!

·
Registered
61 Posts
That's the problem buddy, you need to start making t-shirts yourself!! If you have 100 orders already you are doing a great job and I think you have the savvy enough edge to actually invest in this art!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Great advice from all!! costs are so high because i'm going with small number of prints 100 and other companies in perth Australia will produce in bulk for cheaper but not 100...price of gildan shirts the guy is charging is $6...how do i buy direct for cheaper? Have been thinking about going through a chinese custom company (no idea where?? any ideas), wanting them to do similar to travisty style...but unsure as to where to start.. and handing over so much money is a risk if they send back ****ty shirts. Thanks all for your wise words, good advice!
Set up a wholesale account with Gilden. I think Gildens wholesale are pretty cheap in price like $2-$3 . I could be wrong.. Go to their website and set up a wholesale account

·
Registered
53 Posts
I too have a really high cost to produce shirts - around $15-$20. Printing on American Apparel 2001 / AS Colour Paper Tee's. Is there anyway to get these shirts for cheaper in Sydney Australia? Id love to find out a way to cut product costs.

·
Premium Member
27,700 Posts
Great advice from all!! costs are so high because i'm going with small number of prints 100 and other companies in perth Australia will produce in bulk for cheaper but not 100...price of gildan shirts the guy is charging is $6
If you are ordering 100 t-shirts with the same design printed on Gildans, you can probably order from a screen printer in the US and still come out less than $15 USD per shirt. It doesn't matter if the printer orders the t-shirts or not, $15 per t-shirt for 100 t-shirts of the same design is too much.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No Rodney theres 6 designs not just one 100 orders all up. Point taken though
I'm wanting to buy cheaper shirts in a travisty style, how do i go about making my own style similar to travisty? (china, or othercountry maybe?) anyone out there that does this themselves???? advice would be awesome!
Advice so far has been brilliant, cheers all!

·
Registered
108 Posts
There are free plans on the net to build your own 4-color press. I just built mine for under $200.
Do your own printing, and shipping...print, and ship as you sell.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
It is not that the shirts are expensive (Gildans are not), it is that you are paying retail prices to your printer. Need to get your costs down to around $5 or $6 a printed shirt so you can wholesale around $11 or $12 ... though perhaps those numbers would be higher in Aussie dollars, not sure. Add a couple more $ to that if you use a more expensive shirt, like American Apparel.

Doing the printing yourself will cost considerable time and money to setup, so while that might be a good long term plan, it probably isn't a short term solution, and may not be suitable given your available time, space, and skills.

I would find a smaller print shop who is willing to give you a better price with the understanding that you will be giving them repeat orders for those same designs (so they keep the screens rather than having to redo that work for each order). Maybe get them to agree to giving you wholesale pricing on orders of 50, if their normal break point is 100. To show them you are for real, you may want to spring for an order of 100 for some of your designs in order to get the ball rolling.

You can probably find a smaller shop that will go for that ... though check out some of their work to make sure they are good.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts