T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With 2 toddlers, my wife and I don't get out to the movies much. It's nice to actually see a "good" movie in the theatre when we get a chance (although the home theatre isn't such a hardship...popcorn's cheaper :))

Anybody seen any good movies recently?

·
2,957 Posts
Sac printer hit that one out of the park!

I would much rather watch a good movie at home on the big screen than pay movie prices for admission and concessions.

I haven't been to the movies in a while. If something that I think is REALLY good comes out, then I might make the trek.

I might be drawn out this summer though. I'm going to wait and see what the general concensus is of MI:3 and the Da Vinci Code might be an option also.

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My wife and I both recently read the Da Vinci Code, so we'll probably watch that one in the theatre for curiosity sake.

Maybe it's just nostalgia, since I used to work in a movie theatre for many years, but there's just something about sitting in an actual theatre and getting the "movie theatre experience".

I like watching movies at home on the big screen too. Maybe I should change to be more broad like ANY good movies (DVD, theatre or otherwise :))

·
2,957 Posts
Ahhh. I got you.

I like the movie theater experience as well, but it needs to be really good. I think it's the fact that there are other people there experiencing it with you.

I remember going to see the 6th sense on opening night. The theater was packed. There was a part early in the movie inside the kids apartment at night when someone walks across the hall. The movie theater was dead silent, then when the person in the pink robe walks by, there were at least 20 LOUD screams! It was great.

So if something seems good, I actually love going to the theater. I used to have a friend that worked in one, and lots of my Saturdays were spent going from theater to theater watching everything that came out.

Since I don't really go that often now, my movie watching schedule coincides with what comes out on DVD. I saw King Kong a few weeks ago. Nice effects, and the video was crisp. I didn't get into the story much. I got kind of thrown off with the dinosaurs!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Capote (everyone knew how much of creepy little slug Capote was, Hoffman personified it)
Crash (no wonder this got best picture)
Junebug (what can I say, I'm from North Carolina)
History of Violence
Hustle & Flow (two words... Terrance Howard)
Murderball (one of the best villians in a movie... EVER... and it's a documentary)
Grizzly Man
Keane (would not recommend it to anyone, but I liked it)
Mean Creek (great Stand By Me vibe)
Wolf Creek & Hostel (I'm a sucker for good slash)

a few older films that deserve a nod:
Wonderland (Val Kilmer as John Holmes)
Smoke (documentary about a speed freak drag queen singer songwriter from Atlanta)
The Dancing Cowboy (documentary about a hillbilly from West VA with multiple personality disorder... one of which he believes to be Elvis)

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Top films in the last few months:

Capote
Wolf Creek
About 40 minutes of V for Vendetta
Good Night and Good Luck
Brokeback Mountain (the only adaptation I've ever seen that did justice to the source material)
History of Violence
Block Party (although why it wasn't a TV special is beyond me)
The Proposition (anything Nick Cavian usually floats my boat)

·
2,957 Posts
monkeylantern, what did you think of History of Violence.

That was one that I actually got to the theater to see; date night with the Mrs!

I thought it was pretty good. It just seemed like it took a little while to get where it was going. You knew there was something there. I know the point was to get you interested in the "normalness?" of the guys life, then spring the violent stuff, I just thought it took to long.

Overall I thought it was pretty good. I had forgotten about it. I might have to go add it to the collection this week.

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
DickTees.net said:
Capote (everyone knew how much of creepy little slug Capote was, Hoffman personified it)
Been hearing good things about this one. I'll add this one next to my blockbuster queue

Crash (no wonder this got best picture)
Saw this one. Thought it was pretty good, but not super wow. I'd still recommend it to people though.

Hustle & Flow (two words... Terrance Howard)
I was pretty damn amazed by this movie. There were so many ways this movie could have sucked (starting with the topic). They pulled off a movie that was awesome. Great acting, great characters, great writing.

It's interesting to see movies with much nobler topics and bigger budgets suck when compared to this one.

Wolf Creek & Hostel (I'm a sucker for good slash)
I heard Hostel was good...I may check that one out.

I think SAW and SAW2 may have been the best "horror/suspense" movies I've seen in a loooong time. Maybe since Silence of the Lambs.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Rodney said:
I think SAW and SAW2 may have been the best "horror/suspense" movies I've seen in a loooong time. Maybe since Silence of the Lambs.
I enjoyed Saw 2 more than the first one. The spin at the end of Saw 2 blew my mind... the first Saw spin not so much. It may have had that effect because I am a father and felt the pain the cop (D Walberg) character was going through.

I liked Hostel a lot. Probably more than I thought I would. The juxtapose between what the characters experienced in the first two acts of the movie versus what they endured in the third act was well executed. The fact that there were only two (main) american actors in the movie added to the creepiness. There is an acute Hitchcock feel to elements of Hostel... in the naivety of the main characters, a few of the sequences and a handful of angles.

In my opinion though, I developed a strong bond/likeability to the characters in Wolf Creek. Thus making the last 20 minutes of that movie very jarring.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I liked the SAWs and Hostel, but none of them were melt-your-face-awesome. Hostel was good for some T&A... I kind of didn't like History of Violence either.

I just put a bunch of the movies you guys recommended in my movie queue, I'll be watching Brokeback this weekend. Normally I probably wouldn't have, but damn, so many people talking about it you just have to. I also try to watch the movies that were nominated or win awards too.

The Island was ok, just saw that one. I still haven't seen anything to top Sin City or Constantine since they came out. I'm a little behind though, trying to catch up by furiously filling my BB queue with anything and everything that's new or rated high.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Whatever you do, don't even bother renting "When strangers call". That movie is more like a low budget scary film, but without the scary part.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts