T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i dont know much about the heat press process. i have been doing screenprinting for 7 months now and business is REALLY picking up! i am having orders come in every now and then i dont want to do w/ the screenprinting system (names & numbers on the backs). the set up is a pain. i have a few questions.
1. are there economical presses that run well long term?
2. what is the process of how to do it? videos?
3. do i need a special printer and wht kind of special paper would i need?
4. ive seen companies that make your transfers and ship them to you. is that really worth while?
5. what other questions should i be asking?
i need direction! help!
thanks
brandon

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
In answer to your questions... I bought cheap presses and an expensive press. I haven't printed long enough with either of them to say which will hold up the best, but at least a cheap press can be replaced cheaply.

There are a lot of videos out there on how to do it. Conde has some on their website, youtube has a ton of them too. If you want to do just plain old heat transfers you won't need special ink or a special printer. I do sublimation so I have an Epson C88+ printer with sublimation dye in it and I have to use special sublimation paper and substrates.

I've never purchased transfers from anyone. They are expensive and most have to be purchased in a quantity. Plain transfers have a very heavy feel to them, but I guess some folks don't mind the feel.

And the bad part to heat transfers is that they can't be put on dark fabrics without special backing paper or a special heat transfer paper.

·
Registered
996 Posts
I go with Joto. If your looking for only one and maybe two color short runs, than vinyl is the way to go. Thing is your going to need a press and cutter. You can get a deal online sometimes and it depends on your budget.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Seeking wisdom and direction

Hi!

I've been screen printing for about two years now and I REALLY line it. I also like the versatility and possibilities that I see with transfers, vinyl and sublimation. The thing is...in order to purchase everything that I need (heat press, Cutter and a 'bigger,better printer for the sublimation) I need to sell my screen printing equipment.:(

Would I be cutting off my toes to spite my foot? Can I really do as much (or more) business as I believe I can without screen printing? Maybe I can get a smaller (oh no!) screen printing setup an do both in concert. This is what I would really like to do!

Any thoughts or advice would be welcomed. What to do...What to do??

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Re: Seeking wisdom and direction

Hi!

I've been screen printing for about two years now and I REALLY line it. I also like the versatility and possibilities that I see with transfers, vinyl and sublimation. The thing is...in order to purchase everything that I need (heat press, Cutter and a 'bigger,better printer for the sublimation) I need to sell my screen printing equipment.:(

Would I be cutting off my toes to spite my foot? Can I really do as much (or more) business as I believe I can without screen printing? Maybe I can get a smaller (oh no!) screen printing setup an do both in concert. This is what I would really like to do!

Any thoughts or advice would be welcomed. What to do...What to do??
Personally, I don't see why you can't do both. You don't have to start out with the biggest and best of equipment. Start off small. Maybe don't do stuff that requires a cutter just yet.

·
Registered
996 Posts
I agree with Loretta. You can start by adding just heat transfers. You can use your existing printer and purchase a heat press for small money. Next add a cutter and presto, into vinyl. Then add your sub printer.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Or for less than $100 you can buy an epson C88+ printer for sublimation. You can also get cheap 4 in 1 presses on ebay that work just fine. They may not be the biggest or best but they still do the job, just not the big stuff. With the C88 you're limited to 8.5"x11" anyhow.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts