T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:eek:
We are efficient at digital printing, pad printing and laser engraving, however we are only days into sublimation.

We print alot of flags digitally with 90% results and have higher hopes for sub flags.

Any tips are highly welcome.

leadergrafx

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
any specific questions? been subing for years with lots of don'ts, flags what size, a good polyester material and sewing machine and you can make all sorts of stuff, good luck uncletee

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
nds. Is their a fabric that we can run directly through our epson large format printer and get bright colors with 100% back print
Rick

·
Registered
8,082 Posts
I would not seem to me to be sublimation IF you are wanting use regular pigment ink direct to fabric. Sublimation process turns the ink of special release paper into a gas via heat and the pressure forces the gas into the polyester fiber where it bonds to the fiber...

I realize that is a simplified description...but you get the point...or so it seems to me

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Can we print direct to poly material with pigmented inks with good results Rick
currently we are digitally printing with a 54 roland. What i am not clear about with my printer epson 9000 is this. I have been talking to a rep for a large sub materials supplier. He said that inks for my printer are all the same for both pigmented and dye sublimation. doesnt make sense to me. Also, when I do change out inks, say in my 1400, do I have to bleed the system. Lots of questions. I know its simple, just havent got there yet.

Is there just one type of ink for the epson stylus 9000.

Glad to hear you find benefits with rotory heat presses

·
Registered
8,082 Posts
regular roland ink and dye sub is NOT the same according to what I have been told..dye sub ink changes to a gas under heat and the pressure forces into the fiber..with the 1400 ..you don't say if it has regular carts or CIS..if just regular carts...put in the dye sub carts...if you have a cis...then you either have to bleed the lines or get a new cis before using..Isn't your 9000 a 44 inch printer??? if you can by dyesub ink much cheaper than those of use that are under that...44 inch and above I belive are treated differently and not bound to buy ink from sawgrass...the sawgrass patent only applies to the smaller printers...the 1280, 1400, 1800 and 4000 series

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
regular roland ink and dye sub is NOT the same according to what I have been told..dye sub ink changes to a gas under heat and the pressure forces into the fiber..with the 1400 ..you don't say if it has regular carts or CIS..if just regular carts...put in the dye sub carts...if you have a cis...then you either have to bleed the lines or get a new cis before using..Isn't your 9000 a 44 inch printer??? if you can by dyesub ink much cheaper than those of use that are under that...44 inch and above I belive are treated differently and not bound to buy ink from sawgrass...the sawgrass patent only applies to the smaller printers...the 1280, 1400, 1800 and 4000 series
Yes it is a 44" epson, my roland is a 54" eco-solvent primter-cutter, 1400 is cartridge now. Thanks for that changeover info. any info on ttransfer paper for my hp 1600 laser printer

Thanks again

Rick

·
Registered
51 Posts
currently we are digitally printing with a 54 roland. What i am not clear about with my printer epson 9000 is this. I have been talking to a rep for a large sub materials supplier. He said that inks for my printer are all the same for both pigmented and dye sublimation. doesnt make sense to me. Also, when I do change out inks, say in my 1400, do I have to bleed the system. Lots of questions. I know its simple, just havent got there yet.

Is there just one type of ink for the epson stylus 9000.

Glad to hear you find benefits with rotory heat presses

Rick,

in order to do dye sublimation with your EPson 9000 you will need the following:

Since the 9000 is a pretty old model I am assuming it was used and it is probably loaded with epson inks so you will need to flush it. The easiest way is to get a set of refillable cartridges or a bulk ink system for that printer and load them with distilled water.

Once the printer is clean, load it with dye sublimation ink. Most wide format suppliers sell bottles, however some like westar systems (westarsystems.com) sell prefilled cartridges as well. Ask the ink supplier for profiles.

Now that your printer is ready and since you mentioned that you want to print flags you will need a roll of high release paper such as texrpint or jettran hr us sublimation sells both.

With high release papers the paper will not be dry as it comes out of the printer so handle carefully.

Finally you will need to press the paper and the fabric you will use for the flag in a heat press. You can use either a flat bed or rotary press.

Latelly some printers have come on the market that can print on the fabric directly adn sublimate it all at once without needing a heat press. Us sublimation has one for a pretty good price, another popular one is the dgen.

In my experience the ink and paper make a huge difference, secondly I would seek a supplier with experience in wide format dye sublimation... they can be very helpfull while most sign supply type dealers have no clue.

You mentioned that you have a Roland, don't put dye sublimation ink in your roland... dye sub ink is water based and it is not compatible with solvent based ink and will screw up the heads.

I hope this helps,

Milabix

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
For older printers, I recommend cleaning the capping station. Do you need instructions? Folks like us
offer a head cleaning solution for flushing and a head recovery solution for direct flush.

bottom line is you must be sure the printer is in good shape.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts