T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm working on a 3-color design on black tees, ink colors are white, pink and blue. The white is basically the underbase, the pink and blue go on top. It's a full front design...

The screens for the blue and pink are "sticking" to the shirt, and it's sticking in the places where there is white ink. I've got so much tackdown glue I can barely peel the shirts off the platen, what am I doing wrong?

I've got a good amount of distance between the shirt and the screen, no more or less than I usually have.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Did you flash your underbase? And make sure you give it enough time to cool down prior to laying down the next color, just enough so that the ink will settle after flashing.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Did you flash your underbase? And make sure you give it enough time to cool down prior to laying down the next color, just enough so that the ink will settle after flashing.
I agree...you need to make sure you are flashing properly and then letting it cool. Also I have notice that different inks make a big difference. For example are you use and true "underbase" ink. I was using Union Maxopake and having the same problem...switched to Union Diamond White and have not had one problem.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
I agree...you need to make sure you are flashing properly and then letting it cool. Also I have notice that different inks make a big difference. For example are you use and true "underbase" ink. I was using Union Maxopake and having the same problem...switched to Union Diamond White and have not had one problem.
i agree, the white ink makes a big difference, an underbase white ink is formulated to flash faster and reduce the amount of tack.
you want to let your underbase cool off a bit after being flashed, this reduces the tack.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not letting the white ink cool down was the problem. As far as underbase, I was just using plain white ink. I basically just printed the entire design in white, then printed the colors on top. Most of the shirts look okay. I messed up a good number of them, tho. Blah.

Thanks =)=)

·
Registered
158 Posts
Make sure you have a good amount of off contact snap and level screens to pallets.
If you have a low tension screen the mesh can flex more and stick to large ink coverage areas.
High tension screens such as newman roller frames will use less ink, have higher quality prints and tighter registration and better snap after print.

Depending on the design, when printing on darks you may want to use a specific white under-base ink and print all additional colors on top including a highlight white. This will cut down on all the flashing and you will have fewer layers of ink and avoid this problem of thick, layered, under cured ink sticking to back of screens with over flashing required.

Also you may need a flash adhesive or water-based adhesive works well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts