T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I want to screen print white lettering or white designs to a black shirt.... how do i do my designs on photoshop?

Do i use the first layer as just a backdrop background layer, and then, make the layers of my design in white?

So, basically, if i took the background layer away, i wouldnt be able to see my drawings because they would essentailly be against a white backdrop?

Help. Thank you

·
Premium Member
27,690 Posts
Are you screen printing the designs yourself, or sending it to a printer?

If you are sending it to a screen printer, their art department will probably be processing your artwork anyway, so you could either make the design black on a transparent background or white on a black background (or even black on a white background as logn as you tell them the design should be white ink) and they will be able to handle it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rodney,
Do you find it more helpful to do the design in the colors you expect to print it on, and then create a backdrop of the color of the shirt (and change it from red, to blue, to black ie, the color of the shirt you intend to print it on - to see how it will look)...??

·
Premium Member
27,690 Posts
From the point of view of the designer: when designing the t-shirt, I usually design the shirt in the colors I expect it to print on and use the backdrop/background the same color as the garment color (because I'm more of a visual person so I like to SEE how things will look).

I also know that as long as I'm designing in high resolution raster graphic (300dpi or above) or a vector graphic, my screen printer will be able to use my file however I design it.

If it's a simple text design, sometimes I'll just design it as black text on a white background because it's just easier for me that way, even if the garment color is going to be a different color than white.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Cposch,

In my case I do it the same way I would in black design on white shirts. The background is still white while the design is in black.

If printed, the black area is where the ink will go through in, which in your case will be white.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, this all makes sense. Thanks Rodney.

I'm actually taking a screen printing course at the Musuem of Fine Arts in Boston.... so, I probably wont have to ask as many dumb questions :D

·
Premium Member
27,690 Posts
so, I probably wont have to ask as many dumb questions
Your questions are what help others to learn :) The ones that just read the forums and don't post and others who may have the same question in the future.

Not dumb at all :) Bring on the questions!

·
Registered
227 Posts
cposch said:
If I want to screen print white lettering or white designs to a black shirt.... how do i do my designs on photoshop?

Do i use the first layer as just a backdrop background layer, and then, make the layers of my design in white?

Help. Thank you
Your going to print film positives from this artwork so yes you need to layer each ink color.... all your layers will be black on white..... put in a few registration marks then just click on/off the other layers and print each layer seperately with it and the registration marks....for each film positive....

Chuck

·
Registered
282 Posts
I designed white text on black background in CorelDraw12 for plastisol transfers. I did not need to do anything for dowlinggraphics other than let them know my "blue text" is WHITE. This was per instructions from their art department.

I did let them know I was heatpressing to orange shirts so they would use best opaque ink.

As you are studying screenprinting, there's more reading at;) screenprinters.net and I read up on plastisol and white inks at unionink.com

Susan H.
No, I'm not a screenprinter, just had to fulfill
my need to know about white screenprinting inks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts