T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of tape does everyone use to tape up screens? I use the PMI split tape from ryonet to tape up the inside of screens which works fine, but I have been trying to find a good tape to tape up the backs of the screens. I have tried the blue K tape I think it's called, and it is very difficult to get off of the screen. It stretches during removal, and when covered in ink, the tape is very slippery. I have tried the low adhesive tape from ryonet, and it does not hold very well. I tried some other screen tape that left adhesive all over the frame, and came close to ripping mesh from frame when removing the tape. It was very strong. I have been using clear packing tape which holds well, is fairly easy to get off, but it leaves the frames extremely sticky, and leaves tiny pieces of adhesive on the mesh after I reclaim the screens, which in turn leaves pinholes. I'm trying to find a tape that holds well, is fairly easy to remove, and does not leave adhesive on the frames/mesh. I have used clear PVC tape from Ace Hardware in the past as well, and I am thinking about switching back, but it is nearly $4 for a small roll, so I was hoping to find something else. You would think that finding a tape would be easy, but it is giving me nothing but headaches right now. :p

·
Registered
214 Posts
I just use cheap packing tape. I haven't had any real problems with it. I'll gladly tape up a pinhole from a roll of tape from the dollar store before I spend 8$ on a roll of screen tape.

And also, someone gave me a gallon of blockout, so I'm not afraid of pinholes

·
Registered
214 Posts
I can see why that would upset you.

Maybe try taping paper over the larger areas, and keeping the tape to edges? It's less tape on the screen, if nothing else.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I use wide packing tape. I get it in Contractor packs at Home Depot. Comes out to about $3 a roll. Works very well, but if I'm doing a long print run and the squeegee passes over the tape repeatedly, it may leave a little bit of tape when I remove it, but that's easy enough to get rid of during reclaiming.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
We use generic 2.5" masking tape. The reason for the generic brand is because the Scotch and other major brands are too tacky. The generic rolls are about $2.00 a roll. It still leaves a little adhesive, but our pressure washer takes care of that without a problem. We only tape the insides of the screens.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I've been using general masking tape from like Walmart with no problems. I use it around the edges of the screen and cover large areas in the middle of the screen with old transparencies...taped around the edges.

·
Registered
84 Posts
2 inch wide masking tape from Ocean State Job Lot...but I never leave it on the screen for more than 2 days. I once cleaned screens for this guy, whom oddly enough is out of business now, and he left the tape and ink in the screens for months...which I know is fine...but really, when it came time to clean em...god....the sticky nasty glue would muck up not only the frame but the mesh too. He was so wasteful. I keep ink in buckets, not in the screen.

Sorry...off on a tangent...lol Yeah, so my experience when I was younger has taught me to not leave tape on the screen. Especially during the muggy summers up here in Mass. Blah. ;) :p

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
I just use brown packing tape too. When I've had problems with bad batches, the stripper and power washer have taken care of it. More annoying that just peeling it off, but still not really a big problem.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hey we use packing tape but not the one with acrlic adheasive u-line has a natural rubber based tape that sticks well (even under flasher) and comes off in 1 piece if pulled slowly leaves little if any adhesive man it is perfect for us (used regular packing tape,blue vinal,all forms of masking...)jeff

1 - 20 of 33 Posts