T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

Is anyone using this screen stretcher shown in the picture? Got myself one for my shop but seems to be having issues.

1) When stretching the mesh, after a certain time the stretcher arm lifts (rises) up from the table. I usually try to stretch mesh at 20N but I can hardly reach 17N when the arms start to rise up. Creates issue for applying the adhesive.
2) The arms are for 24 by 24 frames. But can I use this to stretch 2 10x12 frames (for onesies) or will I damage my frames?

What am I doing wrong? Appreciate any advice.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
1) When stretching the mesh, after a certain time the stretcher arm lifts (rises) up from the table.
I don't see how this would be possible with the stretcher shown in the photo.
Maybe you should upload a photo of the actual one you have, showing the issue.

The arms are for 24 by 24 frames. But can I use this to stretch 2 10x12 frames (for onesies) or will I damage my frames?
If the stretcher is the same as the one in the photo, then your question is silly.
How can it possibly damage your screen?

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
1) When stretching the mesh, after a certain time the stretcher arm lifts (rises) up from the table. I usually try to stretch mesh at 20N but I can hardly reach 17N when the arms start to rise up. Creates issue for applying the adhesive.
Do you mean that the whole thing bows upwards under tension? The only way around that would be to drill some holes and screw it to the bench.

You can make 2 12x10" screens at the same time, when you have got the bowing isue sorted. Most commercial screen stretching shops make multiple screens at the same time to save time.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't see how this would be possible with the stretcher shown in the photo.
Maybe you should upload a photo of the actual one you have, showing the issue.
Ok I will upload a picture shortly. It did actually bend two of my frames because the inside arm end (i mean the steel face next to the screw) was bent inward. So when I was tightening that face would push my frame. Now one of the side of the frame is warped. I will upload a photo. Anyway I got that fixed yesterday.

Do you mean that the whole thing bows upwards under tension? The only way around that would be to drill some holes and screw it to the bench.

You can make 2 12x10" screens at the same time, when you have got the bowing isue sorted. Most commercial screen stretching shops make multiple screens at the same time to save time.
That's exactly what I meant. It bows upwards when I cross 14N/cm. Do you have it screwed down to the bench? Can you please upload a picture, if possible, so I can see how it should be done?
Thanks.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Alright... I get it.
Chinese junk has done it again.
Their photo gives the impression of a cross frame base, but in reality the whole thing relies on your screens.
Not good unfortunately.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I agree. Their photo does not illustrate the real scenario. And the assembly "tutorial" that they showed, I doubt that demonstration screen even stretched to 10N/cm!
Still trying to figure out a work around.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Didn't realise that was four individual clamps. Most stretchers don't use the screen for rigidity, they are mounted to a subframe or the clamps are fixed to a table. That system will always struggle to work well with two screens ( as you have found out).
Does it work better with a single screen?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Didn't realise that was four individual clamps. Most stretchers don't use the screen for rigidity, they are mounted to a subframe or the clamps are fixed to a table. That system will always struggle to work well with two screens ( as you have found out).
Does it work better with a single screen?
No, it starts to bend sideways when we start to tighten it. Tried it. The only way to avoid that would be to use 24x24 screens which is the same length as the clamps.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
The only way to avoid that would be to use 24x24 screens which is the same length as the clamps.
Come on, be smart...
1. Go get some thick wall steel square tubing.
2. Cut it to size, 4 pieces (a little longer than the width and length of your screens).
3. Use it as backing, so the stretcher legs cannot press directly on the screens.
That's the easiest way to do it without welding or drilling anything.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Come on, be smart...
1. Go get some thick wall steel square tubing.
2. Cut it to size, 4 pieces (a little longer than the width and length of your screens).
3. Use it as backing, so the stretcher legs cannot press directly on the screens.
That's the easiest way to do it without welding or drilling anything.
I was explaining PatWibble's question on what happens if I use one screen.

Thanks for the suggestion. Appreciate it. Just to be clear, when you say "use it as backing so the stretcher legs cannot press directly on the screens" do you mean like putting them between the center of the clamps so they form like a + or behind the leg of the clamps like a square?

It's bit frustrating that, with these machines, I am spending more time at my local welder's rather than actually screenprinting. Had to literally throw away a 4 color press only four months back because it turned out to be a nightmare.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
when you say "use it as backing so the stretcher legs cannot press directly on the screens" do you mean like putting them between the center of the clamps so they form like a + or behind the leg of the clamps like a square?
Behind the legs, because these aluminium frames are very weak in the center.
The idea is to extend the pressure surface of the leg so it does not twist or bend the screen frame.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts