T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys!
How can I tell a customer that they do not own the screen(s) when they paid for "Screen set-up" charge(s)? We had a fall-out with one of our customers and she wanted to take her screens because she thought she paid for them. I know know the difference between set-up and screen charge... so I thought? However, I need to word it correctly to her.

We need to get rid of her anyway because she nags and picks on everything!

Any good phrase for the definition of "Screen Set-Up Fees" and "Screen Fees" ?

Thanks in advance !!

- Olde Lady

·
Registered
186 Posts
If she gives you too much grief just agree that they are her screens and then tell her that since she wants to part ways tell her the storage fee is x amount per month....... :):D Now that would be great!! :):D A better way might go like this. The screen charge you paided, went towards preparing the screen for print. There are necessary steps needed to take a blank screen and make it a screen with your art work on it. The actual screen is part of our inventory.

You could even go as far as giving her the transparencies if you still have them. You have already stated you don't want her back as a customer.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I would word it as

A Setup Fee - Paid to setup the screen with their design.

&

A Reserve Fee - The fee paid to keep that screen for more prints later, they own it. They "Reserve" That screen and you no longer use it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jsaladin,

Thanks for your quick reply to my post!

It is right to the point and I'll make sure to pass it on to her.

Thanks,

-- Olde Lady

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MentinkiZM,

Thank you for your reply and you gave me a good idea in approaching this situation. I learned something new today, the Reserve Fee. That is something I am not aware until today. Do many screen printers offer such fees? How much would you charge for a basic reserve-fee, and would you raise it with a customer like mine? Do you have that posted in your shop for customer to see or only brought up when you have a customer like mine?

We do have something like that for Embroidery digitizing services- they thought we will give them a disk with the file. We informed that they will have to buy their own disks and for us to put in file.

We will have post one up for silk screening.

Thanks again,

-- Olde Lady

I will surely post that to inform our customers.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Great thread. I never even thought about this. So what you all are saying is that when a customer such as myself pays for set up fees i do not own the screens?? So what happens to the screens after my first production run? It becomes part of the screenprinters inventory? Can they use the same screen and print their own shirts? Sorry if my questions sounds stupid. Im about to visit my first screenprinters next week to discuss my line and i would like to know as much as i can before meeting with them. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
861 Posts
MICKEYRAWZ said:
Great thread. I never even thought about this. So what you all are saying is that when a customer such as myself pays for set up fees i do not own the screens?? So what happens to the screens after my first production run? It becomes part of the screenprinters inventory? Can they use the same screen and print their own shirts? Sorry if my questions sounds stupid. Im about to visit my first screenprinters next week to discuss my line and i would like to know as much as i can before meeting with them. Thanks in advance
Most printers don't catalog screens anymore, we file the films used to make the screens, them reclaim and reuse the screen on another order. If you reorder we use your films to make new screens.

·
Registered
57 Posts
If I Have a customer that orders shirts on a regular basis I will clean the screens and store them but if it's a 1 time customer they get washed out and reused, a friend in the business had an extremely irate customer that complained about not getting the screen,. He wound up cutting the mesh out and handing it to the customer, that customer still comes bak to him for work.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
The set-up, screen preparation, and etc. means that customers pays for the labor, the use of necessary equipments, chemicals, etc. to create your design(s) for silk screen production. At our shop, if a customer wants their own screen to take home- very rare, we would charge atleast $50.00 per screen due to the following: frame (Aluminum or wood- dimension matters too), the emulsion (color-processing is more), mesh (certain mesh count and color cost more), the time to perfect your design(s), and etc. All these processing cost money and time. Sorry, there are so much involved that I can't spell it all out. It is so much involved that it would not be wise for the customers to take them.

Don't forget that you just can't take it without knowing how to take care of the them The screens eventually harden due to the chemical involved (emulsion) and you eventually will carrying around harden mesh. Again, there is so much more involve and can't explain it all!

We, as screen printers, do expect customers to do some research before placing silkscreen orders. However, brief explanation maybe required to the customers who are new to the silk screen processing. I would suggest you to talk to people who already had their shirts made and ask how if they were satisfied with the services and qualities of there products.

Screen printers' good reputations that is based on their skills do translate in saving customers some money in the long run. It is because customers would not have to keep switching to another company and pay for the set-up cost again. One color, multi- colors, processed colors, and etc. do have their levels of difficulties.

Beware of those who will just sell you everything you want without giving a good explanation of how they would produce your products.

I hope you do some good research on how silk screen products are produced and good luck on your branding endeavers.

-- Olde lady

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, we do the same here. We'll wash them and reuse them. We'll just let the emulsion harden and keep it as their plate(s).

-- Olde Lady

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A great one! I think I might just use Preparation because that is just right to the point!!

-- Olde Lady

·
Registered
124 Posts
I forgot to mention that you should also "Art preparation fee". That way you avoid issues with art ownership.

BTW, I'm not saying that this stuff should never be given to the customer. I'm just saying that we all need to protect ourselves. Then you can decide on a case by case basis what is "right".

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would just ban that customer for life!

We had to ban several customers because they just don't get it sometime.

Some want their designs so big that I had to tell them that maybe they should hang a large banner on their backs for everyone to see their business phone numbers. Although we can do that for them, we just wouldn't because it is our reputation that goes with each design for each shirt. A largely grotesque design? We would not jeopadize our name for someone who just doesn't get it!

Sorry, I think I went off the topic :(

-- Olde Lady

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We have been using Art Set-Up fee as well as Screen Set-Up fees. The word "Preparation" just makes more sense!

We water-marked the designs as well when we send them to the customers.

Sorry, the customers will have to pay for the ownership of everything as we all do.

-- Olde Lady

·
Registered
52 Posts
The set-up, screen preparation, and etc. means that customers pays for the labor, the use of necessary equipments, chemicals, etc. to create your design(s) for silk screen production. At our shop, if a customer wants their own screen to take home- very rare, we would charge atleast $50.00 per screen due to the following: frame (Aluminum or wood- dimension matters too), the emulsion (color-processing is more), mesh (certain mesh count and color cost more), the time to perfect your design(s), and etc. All these processing cost money and time. Sorry, there are so much involved that I can't spell it all out. It is so much involved that it would not be wise for the customers to take them.

Don't forget that you just can't take it without knowing how to take care of the them The screens eventually harden due to the chemical involved (emulsion) and you eventually will carrying around harden mesh. Again, there is so much more involve and can't explain it all!

We, as screen printers, do expect customers to do some research before placing silkscreen orders. However, brief explanation maybe required to the customers who are new to the silk screen processing. I would suggest you to talk to people who already had their shirts made and ask how if they were satisfied with the services and qualities of there products.

Screen printers' good reputations that is based on their skills do translate in saving customers some money in the long run. It is because customers would not have to keep switching to another company and pay for the set-up cost again. One color, multi- colors, processed colors, and etc. do have their levels of difficulties.

Beware of those who will just sell you everything you want without giving a good explanation of how they would produce your products.

I hope you do some good research on how silk screen products are produced and good luck on your branding endeavers.

-- Olde lady

Thanks for the detailed info.. Appreciate it

·
Registered
9,327 Posts
setup charges are just that, setup. they are not paying for a physical screen but they could argue that the film was paid for and belonged to them if you charged them for artwork. our contract with our customers state that all files, films, screens and other items used to produce their product belong to us. if the customer asks for artwork we charge $300 minimum for an eps file. otherwise they can take a hike.

·
Registered
120 Posts
setup charges are just that, setup. they are not paying for a physical screen but they could argue that the film was paid for and belonged to them if you charged them for artwork. our contract with our customers state that all files, films, screens and other items used to produce their product belong to us. if the customer asks for artwork we charge $300 minimum for an eps file. otherwise they can take a hike.
Our contract also states that we own the screens, films etc. but art supplied by the customer belongs to them. They provided it so they should have a copy.
If you are wanting the art that we created we will provide you with a file that has a jpg, pdf and eps format. If you paid us to design your art. Most of our art is done free, so if we dont charge design services for the art , its still ours, you can however buy it. - We charge the regular design fees for that.
We only charge $45 a hour for design fees , so normally the file only coat $45. It's only more if the design is complicated an took us a long time.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I hope none of you are in Madison, i would not want to work with any of you.... especially you Old Lady
Hi,
Not all printers are out to rip you off!!! That is not standard practice. I have a degree in design and I don't even charge that for creating custom logos etc. A standard logo doesn't cost you a dime.
Most reputable printers of free stock designs, we will create your design for you using clip art and fonts we already have. It takes 10 minutes.
I only charge when you want a custom designed logo and that logo belongs to you!!!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts