T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

I have a question regarding reclaiming
The emulsion i use is aquasol hv the blue one, and my exposure unit is a 500w halogen i use plastisol ink and i use garden hose i have no pressure washer

After a printjob i usually wait for about a month before i reclaim my screen
After i scoop all the inks back i put my screens right outside the backyard for storage then when im ready to use it ill wash the ink off the screen with enviroline ink degradent, then i use the er80 emulsion remover concentrate from cci, i use a spray bottle with a ratio of somewhere between 1:5-8

Now my problem is its taking me too long to reclaim and i have to scrub it really really hard from shirt to squeegee side of the screen and it took me 30-45mins each screen to reclaim
I use mesh 110 to 250 it gets harder as the mesh goes higher so i usually remesh after a few tries,
its a waste on my part, new mesh everytime???

Is this an issue of underexposure? I use the 21 step exposure calc with solid 6-7 most of the time
What could i be doing wrong?

Everyone is welcome to share i'll surely appreciate it

Thanks

·
Registered
108 Posts
You should probably just pick up a pressure washer and even better a dip tank.

You can buy a 1400psi pressure washer from walmart for $80.00. We wash screens with one every day for about 5 or 6 hours a day.

Also you can pick up a horizontal dip tank for about $60.00 that will hold 24"x20" screens.

Just fill the dip tank with emulsion remover and water and go to town with your brand new pressure washer. $140.00 is a small investment to go from 30 minutes a screen to 2 minutes a screen.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Now my problem is its taking me too long to reclaim and i have to scrub it really really hard from shirt to squeegee side of the screen and it took me 30-45mins each screen to reclaim
I use mesh 110 to 250 it gets harder as the mesh goes higher so i usually remesh after a few tries,
its a waste on my part, new mesh everytime???

Is this an issue of underexposure? I use the 21 step exposure calc with solid 6-7 most of the time
What could i be doing wrong?

Everyone is welcome to share i'll surely appreciate it

Thanks
If it is taking you that long to reclaim then your problem is definitely under exposure. That coupled with the fact that you are waiting a month to reclaim and storing the screens outside.

The plasticizers in the ink will tend to harden up under exposed emulsion and lock it into the screen mesh. The longer ink sits in the screen, the more it locks the under exposed emulsion.

Two solutions.

First. After you expose and rinse a screen out, set it outside in the sun to dry. This will fully expose the emulsion and make it harder for the plasticizers to harden the emulsion.

Second. Remove the ink and reclaim the screen sooner. Do not store the used screens with ink in them where they will get hot.

Also when you reclaim the screen wet both sides. Then spray one side and scrub, then spray the other side and scrub. If done right the emulsion should emulsify and then rinse right out. It does help to have a pressure washer for some of the tough spots.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Although I'd agree 100% with Preston that underexposure is part of it, post hardening may help with reclaim, and leaving the ink in for a long time doesn't help, I got a gallon of ER-80 that stunk with a capital S. The reclaim guy was leaving strings of emulsion in the washout booth, and I gave him crap for months before I finally had him try a sample of something else we had lying around--which worked perfectly. Don't take this as a CCI bash, I've used their stuff for a long time, but I'll be bugging someone there about it--when I'm a little less busy.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I want to try another remover but i dont know if that would make any difference
I use SaatiChem ER-2 and love it. Looking at the prices for this on the net I can say I am not paying anywhere close to the outrageous prices I see online. Are these online suppliers smoking banana leaves or something?

The mix ratio is advertised at 35 to 1 but I am using it at a mix ratio of about 72 to 1 in my dip tank and it takes emulsion off in no time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.