T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've looked around and can't find very much info on printing with this. I wanted to know if anyone else had used it for this purpose, or if there was another product that will do this job better.

Specifically this product: Texsource HD Rubber Base

What I am trying to do is a tonal screen print without reducing black or white by 40% to make it transparent enough for a vintage look. I feel like a clear works better across a wide variety of colors. I made a couple of samples awhile back during the last round of printing company shirts and it has held up well. It doesn't need flashing, and unlike discharge, you can actually see the coverage fairly well before it goes in the oven. For this run I was printing through a 200, but I think a 156 would do the job fine, though I wouldn't go lower than that.

So...has anyone ever used this stuff or anything like it? Is this technically a waterbased product? Any advice, tips, tricks, or something to try?

Here's a couple of samples. These were just color options for the client, these are not yet in production.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I don't have any experience with that product, but the print looks pretty cool!

Are those Tultex blanks? How do you like them?

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Is this technically a waterbased product?
It's plastisol. PVC+ plastisizer but you can do the same with pretty much any clear base containing binder.
I personally prefer adding a tiny bit of pigment anyway. It makes very little difference but looks better in my opinion.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't have any experience with that product, but the print looks pretty cool!

Are those Tultex blanks? How do you like them?
Yes, those are Tultex. I have a love/hate relationship with Tultex. In my experience there is a lot of inconsistency in the sewing. They print well, for the most part. I like the 65/35 blends. And because they are lower in cost you can offer these to someone who may want a higher end shirt with a softer feel. But there are a lot of holes, pulls and stray threads in my opinion.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's plastisol. PVC+ plastisizer but you can do the same with pretty much any clear base containing binder.
I personally prefer adding a tiny bit of pigment anyway. It makes very little difference but looks better in my opinion.
Do you add pigment to match the shirt color? Or is there a go to color that you add?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Yes, those are Tultex. I have a love/hate relationship with Tultex. In my experience there is a lot of inconsistency in the sewing. They print well, for the most part. I like the 65/35 blends. And because they are lower in cost you can offer these to someone who may want a higher end shirt with a softer feel. But there are a lot of holes, pulls and stray threads in my opinion.
Right on. I was surprised by the quality (and the price!) but I'll definitely keep an eye on the sewing. Thanks for the heads up!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts