T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have an accurate estimation of what the ink costs would be for the various types of white ink? Is it broken down to square inch?

I would like to know:
Cotton White
Low Bleed White
Polyester White
Athletic White

Thanks for any help - I am trying to expand my knowledge of screen printing.

·
Registered
24 Posts
An accurate way to determine ink cost is measure by weight in grams.
First weigh a full container of the ink to be tested on a gram scale. Take the price paid for that container and divide it by its gram weight. This gives you your ink cost per gram. Then take two blanks, print one of them and run both blanks through the dryer. Weigh both pieces on a gram scale to determine how much ink is on the garment. If you're really critical, you'll also need to take into account the ink left on the screen, squeegee, etc after the job is complete. You can also weigh these items and divide that into the number of pieces printed times your gram cost.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Every job is an experiment. Weigh the bucket at the beginning and end of run after returning unused ink to the bucket.

If you want specifics, print on a piece of glass or polyester that can be wiped clean. Weigh before and after.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
Then take two blanks, print one of them and run both blanks through the dryer. Weigh both pieces on a gram scale to determine how much ink is on the garment.
Which won't take into account any ink wastage, or any moisture evaporation from the ink, or any manufacturing variances between the printed and the unprinted shirt.

I know when I print a test print and attempt to estimate ink usage from that I tend to be way over compared to an actual print run. Personally I think the only reliable way to measure is a thorough before and after weighing of ink across a large run.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts