T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody

I've been reading health and safety documents on my screen printing chemicals and inks and I've found out that I can't put out in to the drain practicaly anything. Screen opener, screen cleaner, emulsion and uncured plastisol inks are considered to be hazardous to the envoirment. I live in Poland.

Due to this fact I will be needing some kind recicling system for those chemicals, that I could connect to my washoutbooth. It has to be relatively small to fit underneath.

I've beed searching for something like that in Poland and germany but I couldn't find something small enough. So now I'm thinking about importing something from the US.

Can enyone give me a link to the copmanies, which are seling that kind of recicling system?

I would be very greatfull.

And sorry for my bad English ;)

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Hello everybody

I've been reading health and safety documents on my screen printing chemicals and inks and I've found out that I can't put out in to the drain practicaly anything.

Screen opener, screen cleaner,

emulsion and uncured plastisol inks

are considered to be hazardous to the envoirment. I live in Poland.
There may be more details in your situation about who is deciding what you can't do. Are you on a septic system or a community sewer system?

It may be the choice of chemical you are using.

I would suggest that all uncured plastisol should be scraped out of the screen and put back in the bucket. If you wanted to dispose of it, you could spread it on paper and cure it, or add calcium carbonate and it should be accepted into landfills.

Screen opener, and screen cleaner shouldn't go down the drain. This could be a misunderstanding of language.

By definition, screen opener is a strong fast evaporating solvent meant to be used to open up nasty clogs - which should rarely happen with plastisol.

After scraping un-used ink back in the bucket, I use a dry rag to clean up as much ink as I can, then a few pulls on a spray bottle of a mild solvent will wet the balance of ink that can be soaked up into a rag.

As for emulsion - I question what chemical has been sited as hazardous.

If all else fails, I suggest calling:

Kissel + Wolf GmbH Headquarters
Wiesloch Germany
+49 6222 578 0
http://www.kiwo.de

When I worked in Cracow in the mid-1990's, K+W was the easiest stencil materials to buy.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello Mr. Greaves and thank you for your reply

1. Im on a community sewer system

2. I'm scrubing the ink of the screen and puting it to the bucket, but it is impossible to clear 100 % of it.

3. Talking about the scren opener I've meant the solvent that I use to clear the remaining ink from the mesh. I scrub it gently to the screen, especialy in the areas where the ink goes through the screen and then I'm cleaning the screen with the pressure washer. The remaining wastes go to the drain.

4. By screen cleaner I've meant the chemical that I'm using to clear the emulsion of the screen. Im spraying the screen with it and then clean with the pressure washer. Remaining wastes go down to the drain.

5. Both ink and chemicals are Manoukian Argon brand.

And there I have a deadly (acording to the product data sheets) mixture of a solvents, dissolved emulson and couple drops of ink from the mesh.

I've been to some bigger screen printing companies in Poland and most of them have a reatively big and expensive system that filters those chemicals from the water before it goes to the sewers.

Well but I don;t have niether space or money for those, thus I'm loking for something smaller.

I've found this recently:

RhinoTech Recirculating Systems

Is this mayby the thing I'm looking for ?

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
..... I have a deadly (acording to the product data sheets) mixture of a solvents, dissolved emulson and couple drops of ink from the mesh.
Who says your combination of chemicals is deadly?

As for emulsion - I question what chemical has been sited as hazardous.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.