T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so last post i had problems and everyone suggested off contact was thr porblem. Well i have plenty of off contact, not too much and not too little. but when i print white on black it still comes out all Rough, thick, and just doesn't look good. I use the spray adhesive or whatever it is. I do my first print and sometimes the design doesn't come out fully so i flash it for like 6-7 seconds till the top you can touch and feels dry and i do my second print but it still just doesn't look so bueno.

Also will someone please suggest where i can buy good quality plastol ink??

·
Registered
2 Posts
Good morning, from my experience with plastisol inks and a nice finish, you need to thin the ink, it lies down mucher smoother. One person on this site suggested hiting the shirt with the press after curing to smooth it out. What this person didn't say was how far to cure prior. I would think heating to 260 to get the ink to jell over and aliminate ink transfer. Will be trying this later on today and I wll report back.

BB from MYL

·
Registered
321 Posts
Good morning, from my experience with plastisol inks and a nice finish, you need to thin the ink, it lies down mucher smoother. One person on this site suggested hiting the shirt with the press after curing to smooth it out. What this person didn't say was how far to cure prior. I would think heating to 260 to get the ink to jell over and aliminate ink transfer. Will be trying this later on today and I wll report back.

BB from MYL
that person could be me :)
but i believe i explained, though, how i did this.
if not: i use a heatgun to flash the ink, and then i take the shirt to the press, cover it with brown baking paper and press it for 20 seconds, high pressure, at 329 -347 degrees.
in this way, you don't only flatten the ink, you also permanently cure it (someone told me this is like plastisol transfers).
done, totally cured :)

·
Registered
584 Posts
That sounds like a lot of work though if you have a big order.

Have you tried adding any soft hand base to your ink? What inks are you using? Are they thick when you stir it up, or is it more like pudding?

Union makes some good plastisol inks.

·
Registered
321 Posts
That sounds like a lot of work though if you have a big order.
yes, it is...but my bigest order so far was for 160 t-shirts :)

it is not the fastest method, but it can save you a lot of money if you're a rookie on a tight budget and o conveyor it's too expensive at that point

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Hypo, it could be your over curing on the flash the first time, you don't want the ink to feel dry to the touch just tacky. Plastisol doesn't stick to cured plastisol and will either crack or wash out. Give it a try.
John

·
Registered
321 Posts
CMYK,
can you tell me what you mean by brown baking paper, thanks
it is the brown paper that my mom and my fiancee use for baking cookies in the oven....they put it on the bottom of the pastry tray and then they put the cookies on top, so they don't stuck on the tray...the product comes in roles, is very common..the color may vary, like white, for example

in fact, i believe that you can use almost any kind of paper that cand handle that temperature and has a glossy side.
some people use the release paper from sign vinyl, but i like cooking paper most

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
I also do what you do to cure my inks, but i used the teflon pressing sheet over the top,, I am really wearing my sheets out,, the paper sounds alot better.

·
Registered
321 Posts
i know nothing about parchment paper.
but cooking paper comes in rolls, 14 inches by 26 feet ( or this is what i have), and it costs like 3 or 4 dollars.
i still use the same sheet i have used when i did those 160 tees and i can still use it, there are no signs of wear or anything.
and i still have another 25 feet of it.
and, when it runs out, i am shure i can find $ 4 somewhere:)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts