T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have done screen printing only on paper so i'm not sure of the exact process for sceen printing on t-shirts (just for labels) i want to make my own tagless labels on my shirts, so my question is do you have to mix something in the paint to make it permanent (so the label doesn't wash off) or can you iron it to make it permanent on the t-shirt, considering that i don't have a cure dryer.

·
Registered
92 Posts
If the ink is properly cured it will not wash out. You will have to have the ability to make the ink reach the proper temperature to cure 300*-325* depending on the manufacture. You do not have to add any thing to the ink. You will want to use textile ink, not graphics ink.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok, so use textile ink, thats great info right there. about the curing - can i use a regular iron for that?

·
Registered
92 Posts
the only way you could use a iron would be if you use water base ink. you can not cure plastisol with a iron. even using water based ink it is going to be a 50/50 chance the ink will wash out. If all you have is a iron. i would recommend you using ink jet transfers. you will probably have better luck with it.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I used to screen print labels into the neckline of shirts for customers but have come to find that pad printing the necklines increases productivity and quality control. When screen printing I had to flip shirts inside out (takes a long time and a complete pain on large quantities). The pad print makes it so you can print necklines without flipping the shirts, tear-away labels such as the Anvil 980 makes it quick. The only downside is the pad prints smaller print area on some (my pad print max is 2.75 in diamitor.)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I never heard of a pad printer before, looks interesting, definitely something I would look into as my company and clothing line develops, so thanks for that info. However for now I tried the ink-jet trasfer as Bryan suggested, which works out fine for now. I actually got different brands of transfer papers, where the more expensive one (HP) worked out better. I'm not completely satisfied with this method but it's a good start.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts