T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I want to start screen-printing at home and I am going to do the screen setup in my house and I had a few questions about screens.
Do you lay the screen directly on the material?
If so how would you do multiple colors with out smearing?
What kind of applicator does everyone use to apply the ink and what is the technique when doing it by hand?

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
Re: Distance?

Yogurt said:
Do you lay the screen directly on the material?
You can print on or off-contact. Using a t-shirt carousel you would setup to print off contact: the screens sits slightly above the fabric. But you can also just lay out fabric (t-shirts, lengths, whatever) onto a table, lay the screen directly on top of the fabric, and print.

Yogurt said:
If so how would you do multiple colors with out smearing?
When printing wet-on-wet in a carousel the screens come down in exactly the same place each time they are printed, so if the screen picks up wet ink it will just be deposited in exactly the same place it's printed when it comes down on the next shirt.

If you're printing on a table... in theory you could register by eye and do the same thing, but since that's not really possible, you'll need to dry the ink between each print layer.

Yogurt said:
What kind of applicator does everyone use to apply the ink and what is the technique when doing it by hand?
A screenprinting squeegee. Technique: lay down screen, put print paste on screen, gently guide squeegee across screen to flood the print area with ink, holding the squeegee at a 45 degree angle use a firm stroke to slide squeegee across print area, repeat if necessary.

If you've never done screenprinting before there are a few different ways to start. You could read the instructions that come with a kit, and have at it - you'll make mistakes but get there in the end (I wouldn't really recommend it). You could get a friend to teach you (a good option if possible). You could learn from a book, or instruction video (a reasonable option). You could find a local short course and have a professional teach you (my favourite option). A day course shouldn't be expensive, and it doesn't take long to master the basics (the advanced stuff is a whole other matter, but enough to get started, have fun, and print good quality one colour prints, is easy).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Man you are awesome!
I am looking at starting with one color prints so I think I am going to buy a kit.
Do you have a recomondation on the bang for the buck?
Also when printing the design out from my computer what kind of paper of plastic sheets do you use? I am designing in photoshop and then need to get the design out so i can flash the screen.
Thanks for your help.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts

Yogurt said:
I am looking at starting with one color prints so I think I am going to buy a kit.
Sounds like a good idea.

Yogurt said:
Do you have a recomondation on the bang for the buck?
I've only looked at a few kits, but the ones I've seen I didn't really like. They all get the job done, and they're not a terrible place to start, but the equipment was a little flimsy. There may be better ones out there. If you want higher quality you could just see what's in them then buy the same components from a professional supply shop, but if you want convenience there's nothing wrong with buying a kit from an art supply store and replacing it if you outgrow it.

Yogurt said:
Also when printing the design out from my computer what kind of paper of plastic sheets do you use?
I normally use gaff film in a photocopier. You can also print it with a laser printer, but the printer I was using wasn't opaque enough so I had to print two copies and lay them perfectly over the top of each other. You can also get film that can be printed with an inkjet printer, though I've heard it's not as good (haven't tried it myself).

·
Registered
227 Posts

Solmu said:
You can also print it with a laser printer, but the printer I was using wasn't opaque enough so I had to print two copies and lay them perfectly over the top of each other.
Solmu the answer to laser printing film positives is to use a polyester film like "Laser Max" In apperance it resembles velium but its not it is polyester.. Then lightly spray it with Toner Enhancer.... it will make films so black they look like they were made by a vinyl sign maker... I can burn screens with it that are as finely detailed as this print your reading..... Chuck

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts

Thanks, I'll look into it (basically if it works out at the same price as what I'm doing it would be more convenient, but if it's much more expensive I might as well stick with what I'm doing).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts