T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this site and embarking on a beach clothing line. I've spent the last year developing designs and coming up with something I think is really marketable, however I would like some advice on screen printing.

My questions is basically.... is there an artistic element to placing designs on a shirt? I found a few companies in Naples, FL where I live and they all seem to be able to put designs on a shirt, but are there people out there that know how to do it in a more artistic way? This may sound like a silly question and maybe it's all in the original art, but I am curious to know your thoughts.

Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Interesting question. There's a couple ways you can look at a shirt. One is a shirt laying flat on a table ... you're going to put your artwork on it as if it were a flat canvas. Nothing wrong with that and it works very well.

Alternatively ... you can consider it a covering for a body, which has a certain form with curves and shapes. With that in mind you can use those forms to work with your designs ... different designs may work better for the male shape then the female and visa versa. For beach clothing this may be a good way of approaching it.

I've often heard sculptors say that the rock or stone they are using tells them how it should be carved into the final form. Taking your designs to that level may add a certain level of desirability that would put you a level above your competitors.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Basically, I'd say you're either knowledgeable enough to make the print look like the original design, or you're not. You can get creative with how you go about things sometimes, but generally it's pretty technical process. You know and care about your printing, or not.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I think your question is a very thoughtful one.

I can imagine a piece of type up big, say 6" letters running vertically down the left side of the front... and then loading the shirt on the platen off center and angled so that the type wraps around to the side.

Your question has inspired me on a design problem I've been letting "percolate".

I worked contract decorating for better than a decade before striking out on my own, and sometimes we would print the design out to size, tape it on the garment and then get someone to model it for all the folks in the shop, and ask for opinions.

Research has shown that a group of average people can out think a single genius.

And on this forum you have a group of above average people with a few geniuses sprinkled around like... charms, in a bowl of Lucky Charms.

What a wonderful place to think out loud. :)

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
I am new to this site and embarking on a beach clothing line. I've spent the last year developing designs and coming up with something I think is really marketable, however I would like some advice on screen printing.

My questions is basically.... is there an artistic element to placing designs on a shirt? I found a few companies in Naples, FL where I live and they all seem to be able to put designs on a shirt, but are there people out there that know how to do it in a more artistic way? This may sound like a silly question and maybe it's all in the original art, but I am curious to know your thoughts.

Thanks for reading.

The answer is 'yes'.
If you have a shop that is not really visual and just slaps a design on without thought to having it 'fit' the substrate (shirt, etc) , versus a shop that has an artist and visual printers that know what looks good and what fits the garment, what belongs.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Odd location printing

You can twist the shirt, but it takes longer to load.
You can make odd shaped platens.
You can print, cure and reload a shirt so the images line up.

I'm sure you don't want to describe your "artistic" location so nobody steals it, but this is a simple mechanical problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts