T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My baby shirts, for the most part, are screen printed, with some custom work done with a heat press.

I'm now looking to add something new to my mix and, to accomplish it, was planning on having an illustration screen printed onto 10oz vinyl. The mat will be used on the floor for children to play on. Is there a durable ink that can be used in screen printing that is non-toxic? I'm afraid that the chemicals used for drying will not be kid safe, especially if the ink rubs off. Or is there another printing process that can be used? My requirements are: full color, quantity of 500, size 48"x60". I've looked into dye sublimation on polyester but the fabric is too flimsy for the application and adding a padding is too expensive. One option may be to print reverse on the back side of clear material and then cover the back so that the ink is enclosed?

I have done tons of research and contacted many companies and just can't find the right process and vendor to do this job! I know that this is not a T-shirt question but would greatly appreciate any direction as I know many of you cross over into this area.

Thank you!

·
Registered
214 Posts
The ink used for bumper stickers will stick to vinyl (since stickers are vinyl) and should be very durable.

OH, don't take my word on those being child safe. Call Naz-Dar ink and ask them. They'd have to tell you either way.

·
Registered
859 Posts
If drying time isn't an issue, just use rustoleum. We use it to print all our signs. Don't tell anyone though, it keep's our prices lower than everyone elses.:)

what's your drying time though, 3 days??!!:) i gotta admit i haven't tried that, but if it works, that's awesome.

·
Registered
302 Posts
what's your drying time though, 3 days??!!:) i gotta admit i haven't tried that, but if it works, that's awesome.
WOW,Dann,well you get what you pay for right? I don't want to be mean but how about a kid safe product? Vinyl ink shout be fine and non-toxic.Anybody can get a MSDS sheet from their printer to know everthings cool.

·
Registered
214 Posts

Yeah, about 3 days. It's terrible for 2 sided coroplast though. I mean, it works, but it takes forever.

But yeah, it works great. Thin and clean up with regular paint thinner, and you can make it thicker from adding talcum powder. I learned it from this wierd mexican sign shop. It works though, and it's like 24$ less than naz-dar's enamel.

Just so the original poster knows, I edited out the rustoleum part because I'm not confident in it's kid-safe-ness. It could be fine, but I honestly haven't the slightest clue.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts