T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Just wondered if its possible to screen print on rain coats which have a rubbery kind of texture, is there special inks or any additives? Also does the set up, print or curing technique vary?

Cheers in advance,
Billy

·
Registered
329 Posts
I would do a test or ask the garments manufacturer (or your supplier) about printing on it but I would guess that some plastisol with nylobond would probably work well. Plastisol with nylobond will cure at 290, so if the jacket can stand that temp I would think you'd be ok. I know some windbreakers have a waterproofing/scotchguard like treatment that can be removed on the area you want to print by wiping with a cotton ball soaked in isopropyl alcohol. Test, test, test.

·
Registered
76 Posts
best and almost only way to Screen Print them is using a fast dry all purpose ink - if it is not too many pcs you can still use your regular t/shirt screen
Try to make your screen using a mesh of at least 200 -
just checked my inks and i used Nazdar 9700 series
i've used this before to print on rain ponchos
Let them AIR DRY

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers for the feedback guys, its a nike jacket 100% polyester (sorry thought it was more of a rubbery type). So i'm guessing best not to try and heat cure as henry says. It's ony 4 pieces so could use a normal screen. So i can get a plastisol ink that air drys?

·
Registered
76 Posts
You cannot use plastisol and air dry it - plastisol needs to reach 320 degrees to cure.
If it is a polyester jacket, use regular plastisol, BUT.... key is you need to use an ink with a good dye blocking agent
Wilflex SSV Athletic white comes to mind
You can still dry those items at regular temperatures
Word of Caution - if item is RED or ORANGE or BURGUNDY, watch out... ! - those are the worst when it comes to Dye Migration.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts