T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if I can screen print on a pvc safty vest using plastisol and be able to cure it without melting the material ? Thank you for any help regarding the subject.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Without melting? No. Not if it's the smooth glossy PVC covered foam floating life jacket. In order to cure the plastisol, you have to get close to or above the melting temperature of PVC.
If it's straight PVC foam, same as the insulated foam "can cooler", then "YES" plastisol works fantastic on them. They have a high temperature tolerance.

For the glossy personal flotation devices (PFD):
Use a "Vinyl Ink" that is made to print on PVC. It is a solvent based air-dry ink, so you'll need to work fast due to drying in the screen.

It's difficult for textile printers to get used to using solvent based air-dry inks because they are so used to inks that never dry.

I recommend several manufacturers of vinyl ink: Serascreen VSI, Cudner & O'Connor VC or SGV, NazDar GV or VF

Call a screen printing distributor near you that specializes in commercial not textile supplies. Try these:
Charles Jessup Inc., NJ
McLogan Supply, CA
Graphic Solutions, TX

·
Registered
72 Posts
  • Excellent resistance (no attack) to Dilute and Concentrated Acids, Alcohols, Bases, Aliphatic Hydrocarbons and Mineral Oils
  • Good resistance (minor attack) to Vegetable Oils and Oxidizing Agents
  • Limited resistance (moderate attack and suitable for short term use only) to Aldehydes
  • Poor resistance (not recommended for use) with Aldehydes, Esters, Aromatic and Halogenated Hydrocarbons, and Ketones
  • Maximum Temperature: 158°F 70°C
  • Minimum Temperature: -13°F -25°C
  • Autoclavable: No
  • Melting Point: 176°F 80°C
  • Tensile Strength: 6,500 psi

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you very much. You have been of great help. I will check into those other inks. Are they hard to get out of screens and what should I use?

·
Registered
197 Posts
..... those other inks. Are they hard to get out of screens and what should I use?
You MUST use the correct solvent to clean the screen, otherwise grab a razor blade!:D

I say a razor blade in jest..... but.... depending on the ink you use and the solvent you need for clean-up and the number of prints.... It might be cheaper to trash a $20 screen rather than spend $40 on a gallon of screenwash cleaner.(minimum size with most suppliers/mfgr's now)

An alternate would be something like Sprayway #957 Screen Opener. That will break down almost any solvent based ink and it makes a good screen and squeegee cleaner.

No matter what you decide, you MUST CLEAN ALL INK FROM THE SCREEN IMMEDIATELY AFTER DONE PRINTING!!! If the ink dries up on the screen, then grab the razor blade for sure:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lol ok. I think i will just print off a few hundred vests and let the screen go. They should pay for themselves or i will be eatin' ramen a little longer than i hoped. Thanks again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts