T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,
I am new to screen printing. I would like to print something on ABS plastic Boxes. But the problem is it has a crescent hole at the center and has a crescent-shaped button through it... How would I go about printing it? How would I ask this at a print shop?
Also, it is a red box and the design label that I want to print is also on a red background. So, should I separate the background and the designs and give them to the printer or would just the image be enough? And what if it has multiple colors? Should I separate the channels?
I am just confused. Could anyone guide me on how I go about this?
Thanks for your time!

·
Administrator
14,357 Posts
Seems pretty straight forward though you would need to find a printer that printed on plastic. Most t-shirt printers don't. It requires a different type of ink.

As far as the crescent, you couldn't print over it with a button in place. If you're able to remove the button, you could print over the hole but then a portion of your print design would, obviously, not print over the hole.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
How about a sticker?
Screen printing is not the only option by the way.
Give your design to the print shop and let them do the job... color separations etc.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Seems pretty straight forward though you would need to find a printer that printed on plastic. Most t-shirt printers don't. It requires a different type of ink.

As far as the crescent, you couldn't print over it with a button in place. If you're able to remove the button, you could print over the hole but then a portion of your print design would, obviously, not print over the hole.
Oh okay, thanks I did not know that about the ink. So would a designer be doing the color separation if it is printing on cloth or the print shop( because they know more about it)?
I mean so should I just give the image if I manage to find a suitable print shop?

Also, sorry to trouble you again if the box to be printed on is Red and the design(like a label with art and text) also has a background of Red should I give it as a background less .png or just give them as it is with the red background?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How about a sticker?
Screen printing is not the only option by the way.
Give your design to the print shop and let them do the job... color separations etc.
Thanks, and Yes, One of my buddies also suggested the same I am just seeing all options. So would this be cheaper or screen printing be cheaper say for something like 300-500 boxes.
And so if it is a sticker would we have to stick it manually and carefully or would there be an automated process? Because there is a Cresent-shaped hole in the middle and the sticker should also have a hole and it is placed exactly covering the hole so that the button comes through. How would we go about that?

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
So would this be cheaper or screen printing be cheaper say for something like 300-500 boxes.
And so if it is a sticker would we have to stick it manually and carefully or would there be an automated process? Because there is a Cresent-shaped hole in the middle and the sticker should also have a hole and it is placed exactly covering the hole so that the button comes through. How would go about that?
The print shop will cut the holes the same way as they cut the stickers (automated).
Price for 10x8cm vinyl stickers in the UK is around £0.10/sticker when you buy 500 or more.
Applying the sticker by hand is not difficult.
Opaque stickers are easier, as there is no risk of fingerprints etc under the clear film.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The print shop will cut the holes the same way as they cut the stickers (automated).
Price for 10x8cm vinyl stickers in the UK is around £0.10/sticker when you buy 500 or more.
Applying the sticker by hand is not difficult.
Opaque stickers are easier, as there is no risk of fingerprints etc under the clear film.
Okay, will consider it as well!

·
Administrator
14,357 Posts
Oh okay, thanks I did not know that about the ink. So would a designer be doing the color separation if it is printing on cloth or the print shop( because they know more about it)?
I mean so should I just give the image if I manage to find a suitable print shop?
Color separation is the least of your worries. Let the printer handle that. If they say they can't, then worry about it. But it's no bigger a deal than color separating your t-shirt printing.

Also, sorry to trouble you again if the box to be printed on is Red and the design(like a label with art and text) also has a background of Red should I give it as a background less .png or just give them as it is with the red background?
You won't see a red printed background on a red box unless you do it in a different shade of red. Or border it with a different color, like white.

Hard to say without seeing the artwork, but the box itself is a red border, no?:)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Old guy, my shop used to print stuff like this 25 years ago. We used a multipurpose air dry ink (stinky). One needs to make a jig to hold the parts, and a screen jig that allows the raising of the screen high enough to print on top of the box. We did thousands of items like this before we settled on strictly textiles.

Steve

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Old guy, my shop used to print stuff like this 25 years ago. We used a multipurpose air dry ink (stinky). One needs to make a jig to hold the parts, and a screen jig that allows the raising of the screen high enough to print on top of the box. We did thousands of items like this before we settled on strictly textiles.

Steve
This is still done today, but usually for thousands of copies.
Each color needs one screen... not easy.

Abetter option is pad printing, but again each color need one plate.
Sticker is the easiest option, and there no screens, no plates, and nothing to clean.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts