T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've purchased a few t-shirts from ThreadLess.com and one thing I've noticed is that they have custom neck labels screen printed on the inside on the t-shirt.

I wonder, is this hard to acheive? It seems like an awkward print location to reach.

If it's not hard to do, this might be a solution for the many people that are looking to get custom neck labels on their new t-shirt line. By having the printer print them in while they print their designs, all the person would have to worry about is removing all the default manufacturer labels or finding a manufacturer that doesn't put neck labels in their tees.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I have pre-made labels that I heat press on after printed. They're not terribly flashy but they do the intended job, which is to remind people where they got their tee printed from. I'm on the lookout for other solutions, but the one I have is quick and simple and very inexpensive.

Adam

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like a pretty nice service. Thanks for the link, Adam!

It's in the UK, so shipping might be a bit much for me in the US, but at least I have a starting point.

·
Registered
249 Posts
About once a day I have a genius idea... this one came to me around 12:15 as I read this post. Why not very carefully remove the existing tag and screenprint your own logo on the inside of the shirt below the neckline... ala hanes tagless. You muthas can have that idea for free.

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
DickTees.net said:
About once a day I have a genius idea... this one came to me around 12:15 as I read this post. Why not very carefully remove the existing tag and screenprint your own logo on the inside of the shirt below the neckline... ala hanes tagless. You muthas can have that idea for free.
Hehe, great minds must think alike. That's exactly what my first post was about :)

That's how threadless.com prints their labels in the neckline.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Sorry Rodney seems I got the wrong end of the thread :) It's definately not a difficult place to reach with a heatpress.. you just pull back the neck a little, and sit the tee on the corner of the platern and press away. This is what I do with some on my t-shirts using a transparent digital heat transfer.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Sorry Rodney... did not catch that... guess genius ideas are not always original. I think we are going to start doing this in our shirts.

·
Registered
51 Posts
In the AA-shirts there are 2 labels in the neck: the AA-label and the washinglabel. If you want to print your companyname inside in the neck, you'll have to remove them both. But then you have a shirt without washinglabel. Is there a solution for this, you think?
And then there is the problem of removing the label in the neck. I think it will always be seen, and that gives an unprofessional impact.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
Adam said:
It's definately not a difficult place to reach with a heatpress.. you just pull back the neck a little, and sit the tee on the corner of the platern and press away.

Couldn't you just turn the shirt inside out and print as normal? Same goes for screen-printing the same area...

(sorry this is a bit of an old thread, but I figured it had re-surfaced anyway, so...)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just don't go printing on the collar, I'd just like to see this practice abolished from all peoples thoughts and put back in it's that's not an option bin, cause even if one person does it, it spoils it for everybody. ramble ramble

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've been asking around to friends and almost everyone I've spoken to says they love the printed label as opposed to the physical tag. The two most oft-cited reasons are a cleaner looking fit and no tag to irritate the back of the neck. I previously thought a tag would connote a higher quality product but no one seems to think so (at least not consciously, when asked). And, in fact, Gap, Old Navy, Banana Republic and other companies seem to be adopting it.

Anyone have any thoughts on this percieved quality question? Also, I've seen it mentioned briefly in other threads that removing labels is more difficult than replacing labels. Is that a serious consideration if I screen print my labels?

·
Registered
353 Posts
I'm pretty sure Threadless has the labels heat pressed on the neck line.

Why spend the money on embroidered tags, just to have some people cut them off? Heat press 'em on.

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
the two most oft-cited reasons are a cleaner looking fit and no tag to irritate the back of the neck.
I've been noticing the latter a lot more lately. I've started ripping more tags out of the neckline because they irritate.

I previously thought a tag would connote a higher quality product but no one seems to think so (at least not consciously, when asked). And, in fact, Gap, Old Navy, Banana Republic and other companies seem to be adopting it.
I don't think it ever represented higher quality to the average end customer. I think big t-shirt companies did it for branding and smaller startup companies did it to make it seem like they were big t-shirt companies (in the hopes of being picked up by retailers and for branding).

Anyone have any thoughts on this percieved quality question?
As far as the end, paying customer goes, I don't think they could care one bit about a t-shirt having a custom neck label. It's just not a selling point. Especially online when a customer will never see or know about the neck label when they are buying the t-shirt.

Also, I've seen it mentioned briefly in other threads that removing labels is more difficult than replacing labels. Is that a serious consideration if I screen print my labels?
If you're going for the "clean" look, then you would have to remove the existing label in order to screen print your label there.

What I wonder though is if screen printing a label would be more expensive than sewing a label on (if your are outsourcing it all).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Rodney said:
What I wonder though is if screen printing a label would be more expensive than sewing a label on (if your are outsourcing it all).
I just spoke to a printer about this. It is. They charge .25 to remove a label or .75 to replace a label. So there's a small savings there, BUT the important thing to consider (I hadn't thought about this before) is the sizing label. If you go the screen printing route, you have to have a separate screen for each size shirt. One for small, one for medium etc. The screen costs you could easily amortize but each size label would require a separate printing run and that adds costs quickly.

Another option the printer mentioned to me is having the same "brand" label screened on all shirts (without sizing info) and then having just a small sizing label sown in when the other label is removed.

·
2,957 Posts
75 cents! the company I use charges 25 cents to take out the old label and sew in the new one on the neck tape. It's just 35 cents if it is to go under the neck tape. With no minimums! 75 cents is definitely the highest I've heard!

I also would think that it would more to have info screen printed if you are outsourcing it, unless you had some large quantities. When I was asking around at different printers, they said that they treat the price just like printing in another location. So if you have a one color screen print in the neck, it would be the same as whatever your printer charged for a 1 color print for however many shirts you were having printed up. Unless you have a large volume, that's going to be around a dollar per print.

Having woven labels made and sewn in is much cheaper, even for the most expensive of woven labels (damask).

You can get 1,000 woven polyester labels for around .15/label, and sewn in for as little as .25/label. Much cheaper than having someone print your stuff in the shirt. And like Rodney said, if you are going for a "clean" look, then most likely the old label still needs to be taken out by somebody.

As for higher quality issue, I've got a different opinion. I really think this is more market driven. I've seen people with urban wear designs print on a jerzees, hanes, etc. good looking stuff, but have people laugh at it and say "man, all he did was go get some regular shirts and print on it. this stuff ain't real!". I've seen this so many times. So maybe it's not a quality issue, but more of a ligitimacy issue. If there are people in your market that think this way, you may sell to them online because they can't see if you have a tag, but they will be the ones that won't be repeat customers, because of their view of you and your product. Real or not.

This situation is different for me. I haven't sold one shirt online yet, but have sold plenty face-to-face. And before I started getting my own labels sewn in, it was hard to convince some people to take me or my product seriously. They would look at the label and know that I don't own proclub! But once I got my labels sewn in, it was never an issue again. No one has ever asked me if it is a relabel of another shirt, mostly because the regular buying public doesn't know anything about relabeling. So when they see my label, with my company's name on it, they assume it's my shirt, and more legitimate than the next guy with the FOL label in it.

But again, I'm in a different market than most on the forums.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
If you go the screen printing route, you have to have a separate screen for each size shirt. One for small, one for medium etc.
the label print is so small the dif prints could be stacked on one screen with shirt hanging adjustment for each print(design)
.75 for retaggin is a lil high. Search the internet, you can find way better deals.

I have a lady here in town that will cut out and sew in new tags for .25 per shirt

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If you go the screen printing route, you have to have a separate screen for each size shirt.
Usually the size and care instructions label is separate from the manufacturers brand label. So that you'd only have to remove one label (The manufacturer brand label) and leave the size label.

Then you could screen print your own label under that (unless you wanted no hanging neck label at all, then that would require removing the size label as well).

I've seen people with urban wear designs print on a jerzees, hanes, etc. good looking stuff, but have people laugh at it and say "man, all he did was go get some regular shirts and print on it. this stuff ain't real!"
I wouldn't say that was true for all or the majority of the urban wear market.

Sure, there will always be a percentage of customers that are very "label aware", but I've seen lots of urban wear t-shirts in stores printed on regular Jerzees or Hanes with no relabeling. Maybe it's a regional thing, or just a certian sect of customers within a demographic?

I think when you're at a tradeshow level and you're up next to the Roca Wears and the Eco Unlimited and Phat Farms, you're definitely going to need to be relabeling to be seen as on the same playing field.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Comin'OutSwingin said:
75 cents! the company I use charges 25 cents to take out the old label and sew in the new one on the neck tape. It's just 35 cents if it is to go under the neck tape. With no minimums! 75 cents is definitely the highest I've heard!
That's NYC prices for ya! Actually, I only called one place. A printer that came highly recommended. I'm sure I will find cheaper once I shop around; even here in the Big Apple.

Comin'OutSwingin said:
When I was asking around at different printers, they said that they treat the price just like printing in another location. So if you have a one color screen print in the neck, it would be the same as whatever your printer charged for a 1 color print for however many shirts you were having printed up. Unless you have a large volume, that's going to be around a dollar per print.
Yeah, that's about what I was quoted as well. I may go for it anyway because I really do like that "clean" look. Or I may only go that route if I end up with shirts that have no neck labels to begin with. Gotta crunch the numbers first.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts